Topics

Anyone remember a basic overview of the D G Line Blocks?

Russell Courtenay

‘Good friends are good to have’, he was getting out of the railroad part to concentrate on his model building. 

Yes, there is a lot of equipment available for using many DCC features and now the new NMRA Layout Command Control while using DC locos without modifications. MRC has many control boxes for DCC loco and layout sounds on DC, many of these are now on the used market at half price. 

I am wanting to go full Battery Powered R/C (Deadrail) which is even more expensive but I only have 4 standard gauge and 4 narrow gauge locos at this time. Without sound, conversion from DC to battery power is not bad (there are actually Homebrew DCC and battery systems I am looking at building from standard electronic components for about $20 and programming skills) but it is not cheap either, especially if you have a fleet....

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Bob Friddle <bob.friddle@...> wrote:

Wow that’s a good friend indeed, Russell! As I understand it there are also devices that allow you to control the DCC features on a DC layout, some thing you could consider adding on Randy. Just having a couple of locos with sound on the layout would make quite a difference.

Thank you,

Bob Friddle, RA, AIA, LEED® AP Director, Facilities Design and Construction
Department of Finance & Property Services City of Minneapolis
350 S. 5th St, Room 223, Mpls, MN 55415
(Currently working from home) M 612-607-2207
Bob.friddle@... Pronouns: he, him, his

From: GandD@groups.io <GandD@groups.io> on behalf of Russell Courtenay via groups.io <walruswebtech@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 9:54:06 AM
To: GandD@groups.io <GandD@groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] Anyone remember a basic overview of the D G Line Blocks?

Something to remember if you are staying with DC: DCC dual mode decoders also work in DC and vastly improve the operating qualities. Here is a video of my only On30 DCC loco running in DC, the last few seconds is a demonstration of crawling from tie to tie. 

It runs flawlessly slow and smoothly like I have only seen in HO DC locos with precision motors and carefully built drive trains. Difficult operating qualities is why I didn’t stay with HO and HOn3 in my experiments in the ‘80’s 

https://youtu.be/OY5ekGoBVvE

Since this time a good friend gave me an entire Digitrax DCC system, just have to figure out what to do with it, I don’t really like its panel of 100 buttons...

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Aug 19, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

With DCC it is dangerous to NOT use an auto reverser.  You can get situations where out of phase track ends can effectively result in double the track voltage to an engine bridging the gaps.  (Lost three decoders in a short time due to this problem at a local museum layout).  Auto reversers apparently work fast enough that any situation of this doubled voltage is short enough to be safe for decoders.

By the way, the museum uses Digitrax (I forget who for reversers and “frog juicers”).  I think the majority of our crew recommends NCE.  I recommend NCE.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:19 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] Anyone remember a basic overview of the D G Line Blocks?

Total is $3000.     

[EXTERNAL] This email originated from outside of the City of Minneapolis. Please exercise caution when opening links or attachments.