Topics

Any Ah ? Whimsical, Rebellious, Naughty, Funny or Downright Obnoxious/Annoying Scenes on YOUR LAYOUT - Hidden or Not ? or Neat and Tidy ?

Mark Cartwright

Hello all.....

Just wondering how neat and tidy YOUR LAYOUT Is ?
Don't mean to condescend or digress you from your labors....
And Far be it from me to say nothing about nobody's personal tastes.....
However....
From Weathering your layout to cracks in the concrete to depicting Homeless or FEMA Trains on your Layout...
Perhaps a Dinosaur or a Fat Mexican ....
Perhaps a Drive By Shooting Scene ....at a McDonald's.
====================================
Just how far do you go or not ?
Is your layout Politically Correct ?
====================================
Just the way you may depict trees....Tells a Story.
An example....Note the LONE TALL Palm Tree in the right of the first picture.
http://blogs.esanjoaquin.com/san-joaquin-county-courts/2009/01/27/stocktons-skyline/
(To the right of the 1927 Medical Dental Building)
Very Tall Tree...Means Very Old.
But was it always alone?
No...There was a line of such trees up and down the street...all perfectly maintained for decades; along with street lighting.
Then over time...
Both Trees and Lighting began to go...as well as Daily Shopping to the area.
The Palm Trees began to go...Some were replaced but then lacking proper water and maintenance died.
Result ?
70 Years later to the first planting ...
ONE TREE !
>>>.  Nearly seems out of place but it is there...
Should I model the one... or the many ?
Perhaps make my Layout Neat and Tidy without a Word of Disagreement  and include many trees as depicted in the past.
One Tree or an entire Street Lined with Trees?
=====
Some would call these Social Indicators....
https://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199756384/obo-9780199756384-0143.xml

While Some may not notice at all.....
Thank you for listening...and if this seems to be as clear to you as MUDD ?
Yes, that is the name of my town on my Layout Muddville.
Where nothing is quite as it seems.
:)) Mark

Sweet Home Chicago ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhL6AFDt_nI
We get a lot of that here...Police Cars running into one another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZnX0GzM9c
The Mysterious Green Van....?
Dash Cams, Body Cams and people trained in observation...
Yet nobody saw a License Plate.
===
I have a near eidetic/photographic memory, so I notice and remember things, where as people around me ...May not have seen a thing.
Did they really not see what I can see...Or do they simply not care?

James Babcock

Mark,
You asked:
    Just how far do you go or not ?
    Is your layout Politically Correct ?

My layout is not PC for the following reason:
    Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC

Truman:

 "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I keep tight control of the layouts waste water treatment plant. LOL
Jim

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎June‎ ‎18‎, ‎2019‎ ‎10‎:‎06‎:‎56‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Mark Cartwright via Groups.Io <marcdecapri@...> wrote:

Hello all.....

Just wondering how neat and tidy YOUR LAYOUT Is ?
Don't mean to condescend or digress you from your labors....
And Far be it from me to say nothing about nobody's personal tastes.....
However....
From Weathering your layout to cracks in the concrete to depicting Homeless or FEMA Trains on your Layout...
Perhaps a Dinosaur or a Fat Mexican ....
Perhaps a Drive By Shooting Scene ....at a McDonald's.
====================================
Just how far do you go or not ?
Is your layout Politically Correct ?
====================================
Just the way you may depict trees....Tells a Story.
An example....Note the LONE TALL Palm Tree in the right of the first picture.
http://blogs.esanjoaquin.com/san-joaquin-county-courts/2009/01/27/stocktons-skyline/
(To the right of the 1927 Medical Dental Building)
Very Tall Tree...Means Very Old.
But was it always alone?
No...There was a line of such trees up and down the street...all perfectly maintained for decades; along with street lighting.
Then over time...
Both Trees and Lighting began to go...as well as Daily Shopping to the area.
The Palm Trees began to go...Some were replaced but then lacking proper water and maintenance died.
Result ?
70 Years later to the first planting ...
ONE TREE !
>>>.  Nearly seems out of place but it is there...
Should I model the one... or the many ?
Perhaps make my Layout Neat and Tidy without a Word of Disagreement  and include many trees as depicted in the past.
One Tree or an entire Street Lined with Trees?
=====
Some would call these Social Indicators....
https://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199756384/obo-9780199756384-0143.xml

While Some may not notice at all.....
Thank you for listening...and if this seems to be as clear to you as MUDD ?
Yes, that is the name of my town on my Layout Muddville.
Where nothing is quite as it seems.
:)) Mark

Sweet Home Chicago ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhL6AFDt_nI
We get a lot of that here...Police Cars running into one another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZnX0GzM9c
The Mysterious Green Van....?
Dash Cams, Body Cams and people trained in observation...
Yet nobody saw a License Plate.
===
I have a near eidetic/photographic memory, so I notice and remember things, where as people around me ...May not have seen a thing.
Did they really not see what I can see...Or do they simply not care?

David

Hi,

Layouts when being constructed or worked on are never neat and tidy.  Mine always has an area that is full of "stuff".  The "stuff" is usually model materials or scenery items waiting for a home on the layout.  I do keep my floor clean so when some minuscule part falls down on the floor I can find it.

My layout is not politically correct.  It can't be and why should it be?  My layout is not an exact copy of John's layout but it does have some characteristics from the era that is modeled.  Any person of history will realize that you shouldn't change history to please someone or a particular group.  If you change history or make it "politically correct" then future generations will never learn the mistakes of their predecessors.  I try to feature the grime and mess that happens around railroading and mining.  Nothing like modeling an oil tank car that jumped the tracks, spilled it contents down a hillside, caught some tall timber trees on fire, and was left down the embankment by the railroad to rot.  Not pretty, but somewhat accurate.  If a railroad determined that a salvage operation was too expensive then it wasn't done.

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

How neat and tidy is your layout Mark?    in any of the many neat and tidies those descriptions can encompass...

Randy

Rick Jones

On 6/18/2019 12:54 PM, James Bab cock via Groups.Io wrote:
?? ?? Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC
**//___^
Truman:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Except the quote is fake and has been debunked. The Truman Library has no record of any such correspondence between Truman and MacArthur.

--

Rick Jones

Last summer I joined the Sexual Freedom League, and within two
months my team was in 1st Place.

Bob Friddle

I loved the story about MR/Lynn Wescot not showing the hanging diesel salesman, though I'm not sure it's true; as I recall, the pic was in his book...

On 6/18/2019 12:54 PM, James Bab cock via Groups.Io wrote:
?? ?? Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC **//___^
Truman:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Except the quote is fake and has been debunked. The Truman Library has no record of any such correspondence between Truman and MacArthur.

--

Rick Jones

Last summer I joined the Sexual Freedom League, and within two months my team was in 1st Place.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ha.....  !      perfect.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 6/18/2019 12:54 PM, James Bab cock via Groups.Io wrote:
>  ?? ?? Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC
> **//___^
> Truman:
>
> "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
> illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
> media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
> pick up a turd by the clean end."

    Except the quote is fake and has been debunked. The Truman Library
has no record of any such correspondence between Truman and MacArthur.

--

                   Rick Jones

Last summer I joined the Sexual Freedom League, and within two
months my team was in 1st Place.

William Eldredge

My Eastern Pacific and Coastal Railroad has a couple of whimsical references and scenes so far. One is the name itself. Contrary to all names claiming western pacific and some such, we are actually on the Pacific Ocean’s eastern shore, hence my railroads contrary name. And then there’s the Green power and steam generating plant

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I loved the story about MR/Lynn Wescot not showing the hanging diesel salesman, though I'm not sure it's true; as I recall, the pic was in his book...

On 6/18/2019 12:54 PM, James Bab cock via Groups.Io wrote:

>  ?? ?? Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC **//___^

> Truman:

> "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,

> illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream

> media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible

> to pick up a turd by the clean end."

    Except the quote is fake and has been debunked. The Truman Library has no record of any such correspondence between Truman and MacArthur.

--

                   Rick Jones

Last summer I joined the Sexual Freedom League, and within two months my team was in 1st Place.

Mark Cartwright

My Brother circa 1963, created a Model Railroading/Model Motoring Layout....but it was mostly about the Scenery.
He hand crafted a woman on a beach towel sunning herself in the nude (Ho Ho Ho Scale he called it).
I was quite intrigued, being all of 10 years old at the time....So for my 11th Birthday, he bought me a subscription to Playboy.
==============
Today if you get too close and look into the bedrooms of some of my Houses...Or up into the 8th Story of a 10 Story High-rise....
I mean who is gonna see if the blinds are open?
https://www.noch.com/en/product-categories/figures-and-decoration/figures/sexy-scenes.html

Yes, N Scale once again !
=============
 I should probably mention....ONCE (Too late) you begin to add interior details and figures to buildings...
Oops!
Begin again !?!?
Well...what happened to me....I began to recreate structures at 100% Authentic to Measured Scale Plus...at a scale of 1:152.
Yet my figures often say 1:160 on the box...
Some of my structures say HO or even O Scale on their respective boxes.
Plus...
Given the thickness of paper thin walls not being so paper thin.
That is not only Zero Compression...
but Compression the other way as in 120% to some interior rooms while the outside measurements then had to be 100% spot-on to actual scale.
>>>. This began to confuse my N Scale Layout as some Ready-Made Kit N Scale items are closer to Z Scale, yet !?!?
This German Made HO Scale Train Station....
https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/product.asp?mn=7&ca=16&sc=HO&stock=V43560

> is actually too short to match an N Scale Foot Print for a Passenger Train Platform; but it's close at a 1:130 Scale...
Yes, I measured it given other known items in pictures with the prototype (cars). The model cuts off part of the prototype structure...By adding it back on...The Model becomes a close to measured N Scale Foot print.
===
Over time the prototype seemed to sink into the ground where as the surrounding roadways and path ways actually rose in altitude.
So...By first setting down the Model into a cut recess.. (Dremel Tools)
Then building up the surrounding scenery...N Scale Figures begin to Photographically fit into place.
I find myself often shaving the bottom of N Scale figures however; or drilling small holes for their feet to set down in.
That is unless. you like 8-10 foot high figure wandering around your layout.
N Scale (1:160) seem to do quite well with 1:152 Scale Structures; with a bit of work.
=====
So...an N Scale Layout with HO and O Scale components in a rather large combined Train-room of 25 x 35 feet....
Beyond all recognition of most Model Railroaders.
:)) Mark

Freight and Urban Basic Articulated Railway (For now mostly Flex Track) FUBAR
Meets at the 23 Skidoo Street Bridge to meet up with a
Not really a Layout...a Meandering Kato Unitrack Departure around the Crown Ceiling of my House.
I want the Train to leave the Train Station...keep on running...go out of sight and then come back (hopefully) in a few minutes time.
I call this part of the overalls scheme...SNAP-FU.
Stockton N Articulated Passenger Freight and Urban.
Yes, I had to add the Passenger word for it really is about not seeing a passenger train in two stations at once.
However....!?!?!The problem with DCC in Sound with Kato Unitrack?
It Snaps together.
Great for those who don't mind crawling up onto their layout to push their trains along...but for those of us advancing in years....I do NOT plan on carrying a ladder with me to even clean the Kato Crown Ceiling Layout. When I am 94 years old I intend to hire a woman in a short skirt to clean my track.
The sections of Kato Track are Soldered into 30 inch long segments, each one with it's own drop down lead.

Bob Friddle

The Vollmer station is a beauty, Mark, it might be appropriate for my Port location if I can find a big enough shoe-horn. I have seen many HO models with selective compression that are useful for N scale. Any steel truss bridge, basically, because the proportions of steel remain consistent. I am using Walthers’ HO train shed because their N scale shed is just too small. I assembled half of the shed and will back it up to a mirror and sell the other half. Walthers’ N scale Union station is also far smaller than the prototype here in St. Paul, maybe I will get the HO version. I briefly toyed with the idea of putting Walthers’ fabulous Milwaukee train station in my city background, but that won’t work unless I can surround it by other grand buildings and I don’t think I have the space. Might build it anyway because I lived in Milwaukee for many years. I’ve also been thinking lately about putting in HO scale tunnel portals so my local HO narrow gauge friends can run their trains…

Hey John N, what about your whimsical and naughty scenes?

Bob

Gabriele Lines

Minneapolis

> [...]

I want the Train to leave the Train Station...keep on running...go out of sight and then come back (hopefully) in a few minutes time.
I call this part of the overalls scheme...SNAP-FU.
Stockton N Articulated Passenger Freight and Urban.
Yes, I had to add the Passenger word for it really is about not seeing a passenger train in two stations at once.
However....!?!?!The problem with DCC in Sound with Kato Unitrack?
It Snaps together.
Great for those who don't mind crawling up onto their layout to push their trains along...but for those of us advancing in years....I do NOT plan on carrying a ladder with me to even clean the Kato Crown Ceiling Layout. When I am 94 years old I intend to hire a woman in a short skirt to clean my track.
The sections of Kato Track are Soldered into 30 inch long segments, each one with it's own drop down lead.

John Niemeyer

Hey Bob

Thanks for bringing my layout up. I’m doing some whimsical scenes now for a private group. Many of those members are on this group as well. I have several poker games inside of buildings, moonshine stills with flickering fires under them, naked mermaids in the creeks, bigfoot and a yeti in the mountains. Even have people getting sick after drinking some “Outlaws, recycled beer”. Not to mention lighted outhouses with people in them. (just made 7 more that need to be installed.

Bob, I haven’t done much lately, I was burnt out after the 2018, 38th National Narrow Gauge Convention.

John
Denver & Rio Grande Southern (HOn3)
Gilpin, James Peak & Middle Park Railroad (HOn30)