Topics

Angels Camp

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I started building some N scale structures for Angels Camp this weekend: Atlas Passenger Station and Control Tower and a Tichy Train Group Water Tower. These will replace the old ready-built structures that have been sitting there for almost two decades.

The “story” is that the after the Pine Ridge Railroad purchased the GD Line, it sold the Upper Summit Tier to the Tioga Pass RR. The PRRR already had access to Andrews (renamed Andrew) from Pine Ridge. My model of Angels Camp is N scale and includes a powered 11’ section of Atlas code 55 flex track. I have an undecorated Kato 2-8-2 and an a handful cars, some of which need painting, too. I modeled this area because I wanted to include the interesting stone and brick arch bridge over French Gulch. N scale also provides a nice forced perspective. Although this was HO scale on the GD, John used some smaller forced-perspective structures and even posed and photographed some HOn3 equipment at Angels Camp to create the illusion of distance, too.

These structures will be painted in the Tioga Pass scheme: Gray below the belt line, dark red upper sections and white window sashes and frames. (BTW, Tioga Pass is the east entrance to Yosemite National Park.)

In preparing this scene, I grabbed slides s2-034 and s2-034 and Swarner’s Angels Camp photo, which I think is the clearest photo I’ve seen. I’m going to try to create some background prints. I’ve suspected for awhile that one of the structures John used was from the RMC HO Scale Cutouts publication. Today, I pulled the pub … and sure enough I found it! It’s in the cutout pub with GD #34 on the cover. They called it an “Old Brick Station” in the TOC, but it looks like a European control tower to me. Swarner’s photo shows it sitting behind the station. I noticed that John even modified the cutout! The upper floors were all boarded up on the cutout, but John swapped the three windows section on the first floor and placed it on the righthand side of the second! (I posted a photo of the cutout in the Pine Ridge RR album.)

Randy, file this under “Angels Camp” stuff.

Tom I saw the cutout... been a while since I looked the photos that is some great work buddy...  Love the Heisler and the beat up gondola and the water at drains.   Fun stuff.    I do not see angels camp stuff anywhere in files or in photos?    Your doing the last layer of details and filling the depth of field stuff.   Wow, long time before I get that far.   Very nice.

Thanks, Randy.
The album doesn't include a good shot of Angels Camp, but in the 2019-04-16 PR #29 Summit Tier _3450.JPG photo, you can make  out the station and the bottom half of water tank.

Don Mitchell <donm@...>

Angels Camp is shown on pg. 140 of the book.  When I asked John if the fineness of construction was due to using N scale materials, he replied that they were actual scale, i.e., 4" x 8" in HO scale, etc.

Don M.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ahhh, well forced perspective is fun stuff.  John taught us well.  God how cool.. Angels Camp is not even on the long list yet at my place.

Randy

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 6:05 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Thanks, Randy.
The album doesn't include a good shot of Angels Camp, but in the 2019-04-16 PR #29 Summit Tier _3450.JPG photo, you can make  out the station and the bottom half of water tank.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. There's also an earlier photo of the area on page 91, sans the new station. This photo has a accurate color hue, which I based on the cutout. Gary Wernick's photo (DG021) also shows the new station in a wider view. The Atlas Control Tower is gone, so I think John removed it from the scene. I'm building the N scale version of the Atlas Control Tower. Do you happen to have a photo of Angels Camp that you can share?

Warner, when did you visit John? Any luck obtaining the photos from your other friend?

I posted a photo of my version of Angels Camp that shows the older factory built structures (circa early 1980s) … awful glue job and assembly. Good news is that there are several N scale figures and platform details that I'll "steal." I'll keep the freight station … clean it up and repaint it.

Don Mitchell <donm@...>

Tom --

Just noted my response to you did not get posted.  Sorry, no shot of AC other than the one in the book.  Don't believe I have the original slide, either, as there was a mixup after it was published.

Don M.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Don,

Well, I feel stupid. When you pointed out the photo on pg. 140, I just looked at the photo and didn't even bother to read the caption. Yesterday, I went back to it and noticed that YOU had taken the photo! It's definitely the latest photo in the whole Book. It's a great shot … just wish they had printed a larger version of it. Man, that is a bummer that there was a mix up in getting the slide back to you. Maybe MR or Bob Hayden could help you get it back. I know it's been decades Cody G. supposedly has a box of John's old stuff that had been in Andy Sperandeo's possession.

I'm almost finished with the N scale Atlas station and control tower. Findley's paint scheme was quite attractive. They weren't any easier to build than HO scale and in some respects even harder. I'll digitally reconstruct the flats to somewhat resemble the scene. I found a perfect hard cardboard tube for an N scale silver oil tank.

Ohhh christ....    you didn't mention "THE BOX" ??  did you?

  "Big K Publishing"      "What is sent to Big K stays at Big K"

Randy

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 8:52 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
[...]

Bruce Wilson

THERE IS NO MAGIC BOX.  All there is are some notes of Linn Wescott's from when  he wrote the book.  This from someone  who knows

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario
Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Member Ontario Bird Banding Association

On 09/07/2019 21:20, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Ohhh christ....    you didn't mention "THE BOX" ?? did you?

  "Big K Publishing"      "What is sent to Big K stays at Big K"

Well then I HOPE.... with all sincerity that all the drawings such as his concept drawing and all the other wonderful John Allen Treasures that were printed in Linn's book are on the walls of everyone who ever scrounged through  that Box.   Bruce     If they were just "thrown out" that would have been a crime.   But we all know that did not happen.
       Seriously, lets just get real..... John was famous before he died, and everyone and anyone in model railroading would have loved to have had something from John's hand to hang on the wall.  It's not a crime.  It's not even really wrong.  Today it is easy to pass judgment.  I pass none myself for those items.  It is my hope that they are out there and still intact.

   Private ownership of memorabilia of any kind from John Allen can and often is a wonderful place...  I have been in many museums big and small, for a large part of my life and I have seen horrible storage and a total lack of any ability to share ANYTHING.    And as for rolling stock... You may be surprised but I think the museum that has the John Allen display planned has enough of them now.
 To me, seeing 2 cars from the G&D is no different than seeing 20.....!  At some point these items add little value to the displayed items when they are redundant.
    Knowing the Museum has what it needs to tell a good story...  I'd far rather see those cars touched from time to time and loved, and the wheels carefully oiled and a few miles of rolling on track on someones layout.    That is a better disposition for them.   Now with that said, I hope they are passed on from one hobbyist to another for many years and always cared for as they should be.   And if the day comes where anyone owning these items has no one to leave them to or has not taken the time to try and find someone , then send them to the museum.

    I spoke with one of Dave Cooper's daughters by marriage just a few months ago. Dave's wife passed not long ago and I wanted see if there might be anything left from his G&D days.  I figure Dave must have taken photos?   She told me they cleaned out the house to sell it and had a hobby shop that advertised they buy collections come take the trains, (I tried to find out who but she had no idea)  All the paperwork in boxes of Daves things, they simply threw out.  She said there were a lot of railroad pictures and letters but Dave never had his own kids and none of them cared about model railroading or railroads.. even the grandkids did not want the trains just to play with in the dirt....   I can only assume there would be letters from John in there and perhaps some great construction photos of Daves time there.  It would be a logical guess...  Ohhh well... No one bothered to call before.  And no one in his family cared.

So........... Any of you guys who have things of John Allen heritage.   Please make sure anything of value to the John Allen story finds a home before you go or be sure your kids know where you want things to go once you pass.  Some of us can be disappointed with Big K for making money off John....  We have that right.

     And logic and the fact that we know some of what Linn had in this box at one time as it is in print.. and we know no one threw the box out...   its still there.. it is just he contents that have changed.   So what..??   It is the denials and idiotic lack of simple obvious truth and lack of humility and the browbeating to shut some of us up....that bothers me when speaking about it.
  The current disposition of items?   never really been discussed.. but ya gotta be a fool to expect us to believe anything was thrown out by the group from Big K who all knew John, were close friends with John and respected him and knew of his fame.  Come On... the leap of logic that nothing from John was ever in there is Moronic.  Anyway these are just conversations about John's History  that that will always be around because of the absurd fact that the box is void of artifacts and no one knows where things went.   Who cares...  It's all just talk.

  I am sure if Big K ever closes its doors they will do what is right with those photographs as we do know they still have those.     And I would hope their library will be interned somewhere where the public can have access to what they have.   Until then, it would be nice if the contents of "The Box" were understood to have been "saved"  by well meaning employees and friends and fans of Johns and will one day find a good home and not the trash heap.  The denials that the Box even existed or items have been thrown out is just run its course.  No One is buying it.  So let's just stop selling it.  Tom and I just "mentioned" the BOX....  odd, stuck a nerve in some I wonder why?   To declare the box has nothing of Johns in it......  Well yeah..... sorry to say but we know it doesn't have anything from John in it now.   It is the fact that this was not always the way it was that is the truth of it.

Does that close this story in some way?  Is this an understandable and logical understanding of "The Box"?   I hope so.  I hate to fight about it anymore.  No One cares if people have things...  I hope they do.  Just make sure they go somewhere good and not on the trash heap would be my only take away point in all this.  Fair enough?

 Now do we get one of the dozens of people who will decide this conversation will be closed or deleted?  If so this group has a festering problem and too much authority has been given if this is the case.   If it is the person WHO can't speak of this topic civilly that closes the topic then what kind of henhouse crap is this site?

No copyright mentioned.. no personally harmful or mean things mentioned.  Just the facts of a long festering John Allen topic.  Are we adults or angry children?

Randy

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 9:43 PM Bruce Wilson <wilsonbrucea@...> wrote:
THERE IS NO MAGIC BOX.  All there is are some notes of Linn Wescott's
from when  he wrote the book.  This from someone  who knows

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario
Life Member NMRA       Member Gauge 0 Guild
Member Scale 7 Group   Member 7mm NGA
Member  Bird Studies Canada  Member Ontario Bird Banding Association

On 09/07/2019 21:20, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
> Ohhh christ....    you didn't mention "THE BOX" ?? did you?
>
>   "Big K Publishing"      "What is sent to Big K stays at Big K"
>

> Randy

Rick Jones

On 7/10/2019 9:08 AM, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Any of you guys who have things of John Allen heritage. ??Please make sure anything of value to the John Allen story finds a home before you go or be sure your kids know where you want things to go once you pass.
I don't have anything from John Allen but I do have 3 locomotives that came from Dean Freytag's South Ridge layout. As many of you know Dean was the master of steel mill modeling and wrote "The Bible" of doing that. I have been concerned with ensuring that these historical locomotives wind up somewhere proper when I'm gone. Gifting them to the NMRA museum seems like the best idea to me as I can't think of anywhere else that might treat them with the respect they deserve.
I'm still hoping to get a couple of wheelsets from NWSL for the two Atlas/Roco SD24s, if they'll still produce them before they shut their doors. The third engine is a Hallmark brass Trainmaster. I want to add decoders to all of them, which some people might consider sacrilege to modify a historical locomotive, but I bought them with the idea of running them and not just letting them sit in boxes (which are just some old Athearn blue boxes and not even the originals).

--

Rick Jones

Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.