Topics

A mystery for the group...

Jeffrey L Witt

A while back Keith sent me a bunch of JA's magazines, as there were a couple old one I didn't have.

The March 1957 Model Railroader has a removable cardstock page that was for recording you equipment.

JA had filled in a few locos, but they don't line up with the book, except #27. The 4-8-4 could be #101 mentioned in the book.

Could this be related to some of the odd locos in the Glenn Beier photos?

Jeff

Murphy P

The owner of Peninsula Hobbies told me in the 1990's John bought a large collection of engines from someone who was moving and could not bring his train with him overseas. So these locomotives on this shit sheet, might be from that lot and with the as purchased number, before John ethier traded them at a train show or repainted them into GD lettering with a new number. It has been said John was quite the debater and negotiator, yet also soft spoken. We all love the art of the hunt and getting a great find at a train show. Jeff thank you for sharing this information, Murphy

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A while back Keith sent me a bunch of JA's magazines, as there were a couple old one I didn't have.

The March 1957 Model Railroader has a removable cardstock page that was for recording you equipment.

JA had filled in a few locos, but they don't line up with the book, except #27. The 4-8-4 could be #101 mentioned in the book.

Could this be related to some of the odd locos in the Glenn Beier photos?

Jeff

Keith Roger Beard Trinity

The handwriting does not seem to match a recent note of John's I found in his supplies. Note the distict 2s, 4s and 7s;
--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey

Murphy P

Could be a difference in time as I have a friend who collects NASA artifacts and he once showed me how two of the astronauts from Apollo 11 moon mission had signatures/hand writing that greatly changed with time to the point of looking like a different person was writing. So this could be John's writing for the locomotive class list. Also I know with how my writing can dwindle/change when I am writing fast notes and with John being an avid NFL fan, John might have composed these numbers while watching TV and could explain the variation. Also if you look at some of John's writing, he has nice block printing on some writing such as the big two page map in the Lynn Westcott book from 1981 pages 6-7 and then a cursive writing style that is hard to read in places at the top of page 55. If you look at Lynn Westcott book from 1981 page 40, both the "2"s from the book and locomotive list from Jeff have a flowing curved foot style and look much the same. Thank you to everyone who help keeps John railroad alive and sharing all this information, Murphy