Added album On3 John Allen boxcar? #photo-notice

Group Notification <noreply@...>

Steve McKee <rgssmckee@...> added the album On3 John Allen boxcar? : I bought this at the Narrow Gauge convention in 1989 or 90 in Durango Colorado from one of Cliff Grandt's sons. I asked him the story behind it and he said it came from a guys collection that passed away that he thought it was a doctor. On the bottom of this car is the name "Charles Trombley". Maybe somebody out there might know if this had a connection to John Allen? Steve McKee

Jim Marlett

The name sounded familiar, so I did a web search. I can’t tell you why it seemed familiar to me, but I did discover a Chuck Trembly who was a member of the East Bay Model Engineers along with Cliff Grant and other notables of the hobby. https://www.gsmrm.org/history/halleck.shtml

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Aug 5, 2022, at 1:55 PM, Group Notification <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Steve McKee <rgssmckee@...> added the album On3 John Allen boxcar? : I bought this at the Narrow Gauge convention in 1989 or 90 in Durango Colorado from one of Cliff Grandt's sons. I asked him the story behind it and he said it came from a guys collection that passed away that he thought it was a doctor. On the bottom of this car is the name "Charles Trombley". Maybe somebody out there might know if this had a connection to John Allen? Steve McKee

Bert Greeley

I was a member of the EBMES from 1978-1981. It was a fantastic club with HO, O, On30 and N scale layouts. I learned a great deal from the other members. Lotsa fun there!

Bert

[...]

Russell Courtenay

I am from Half Moon Bay and as a 13 year old we visited the East Bay Model Engineer Society and I made a 10 minute silent Super8 movie of the visit. Unfortunately my projector is broken, but I hope to digitize it someday.

This visit solidified my love of O scale, though I continued to plod along in HOn3 with its terrible running qualities and expensive brass through the eighties.

I know things have improved a lot since then but I still love the mass and natural momentum of O scale, though building a layout seems to require a shopping mall sized garage…

[...]

Steve McKee <rgssmckee@...>

Russell there are shops out there that can do that for you so you can share that with everybody and it doesn’t cost that much. Steve M.

[...]

Yes, and I’ve looked into having my movies scanned. I have about 25- 3 minute reels of Super8 sound and silent film I made from 1977 to 1984, then it gets expensive!

So I plan on getting my projector going and doing some ‘scratch reels’ as we called them in the movie days- basic digital copies with a phone, to figure out what I’ve got, then maybe get the best 10 reels digitally scanned in HD at about $25 each…

I really don’t think I will get a lot of interest in my epic ‘FFA in action 1980’ or several seasons of the Half Moon Bay High School football team, but maybe my train movies and ‘The Clay Man’ animated pic might be interesting…

[...]

Pardon my half asleep typing. Auto-correct changed Chuck Trombley to Chuck Trembly and I didn’t catch it before hitting send.

On Aug 5, 2022, at 4:40 PM, jmarlett@... wrote:

The name sounded familiar, so I did a web search. I can’t tell you why it seemed familiar to me, but I did discover a Chuck Trembly who was a member of the East Bay Model Engineers along with Cliff Grant and other notables of the hobby. https://www.gsmrm.org/history/halleck.shtml

On Aug 5, 2022, at 1:55 PM, Group Notification <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Steve McKee <rgssmckee@...> added the album On3 John Allen boxcar? : I bought this at the Narrow Gauge convention in 1989 or 90 in Durango Colorado from one of Cliff Grandt's sons. I asked him the story behind it and he said it came from a guys collection that passed away that he thought it was a doctor. On the bottom of this car is the name "Charles Trombley". Maybe somebody out there might know if this had a connection to John Allen? Steve McKee

Mike

Charles Trombley was a noted On3 modeler in the SF Bay Area.  He and Cliff Grandt were good friends, and he used to host an annual get together at his home in the East Bay.  Lots of the On3 names used to attend; I got to go once and spent most of my time wide eyed and gape jawed in the corner just absorbing the knowledge that was filling the house.  That may be the link to your boxcar in question.