Topics

G&D pass for sale

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thanks for the letter scan, Jeff!

I was thinking this is where I heard that "he had been out of them for about three years." So, around 1964, he no passes left.

John was such a generous man!

In John's own hand regarding passes, 1967, from the John Blanchard Gallery:

http://gdlines.org/JohnBlanchardLetters/original/Allen-Blanchard%20Letter%2013%20-%209Nov1967_p001.jpg

So it says he quit exchanging passes ~1962.

Interesting pass info Tom...

Worth mentioning; In my searching I have had it mentioned and then verified by others who knew him, that John actually stopped giving passes out to the many simple requests from fans.   He did give them to modelers but on a more restricted basis.  The story is John actually witnessed someone selling one of his passes at a show in Texas and he was not impressed and it made him mad enough to not print anymore.

Thanks for the link, Russell.

Here’s some interesting info about the GD pass. I have pass #418. (eBay price $63 in 2006 ... I know!) It is one of John’s early passes, with rounded corners and “140 Irving, Monterey, California” printed along the bottom.

After John moved, he trimmed off the address and made square-cornered passes. Until I compared the two the different passes, I thought John simply trimmed off the top corners. But that’s not the case, because the top of the logo diamond and the left and right markings are the same distance from card edges.

The upper left reads “HO guage” … yup … a typo.

The paper was very unusual … not sure what was used, but have to believe that they were professionally printed.

The Pine Ridge RR pass, shown in my album, is obviously a knock-off of the G&D pass, albeit with rules printed on the backside. I designed it years ago using PowerPoint and a photo of my original PR #42. Now that I finally restored #42, I printed new passes. I used 140 lb. paper and made both “Gold” and “Silver” passes.

I used to beat myself up for not asking John for a pass during my visit in 1970. A few years ago, I read that John ran out of passes around 1964 and stopped having them printed. I think the time and postage involved in mailing/exchanging passes was killing him.

!!!!!!!! Warner..     now that is funny...   !

Warner Swarner

That’s what she told the judge.  That’s why the railroad had to pull up rails and build a new branch line to Bearspaw.  The present C.E.O. Brooke (for 21 years now) is in charge of all right-of-way and reviews any equipment acquisitions, keeping a close eye on the books.   Track encircles the house and completely fills the basement but is not permitted in living spaces (not even around the Christmas tree).  Good balance of executive power.  I need to print new passes but they will require counter signing.
Warner

On Nov 24, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Yes indeed Warner;  of switchers, mail, and the cruel, slow, grinding of time...

  I see Chrissy Swarner is the superintendent of grounds.  Technically she runs the railroad.  She owns the right of way and you're just the guy running the trains.   !

Russell Courtenay

I am the admin of that for sale group so I approved the for sale post and immediately messaged the group. This is a collectible but I would really like to see a true fan get and treasure it rather than a professional collector...

I was shocked at the prices the NMRA auction got for things that I know of, kinda surprised they haven’t published the auction list or at least contacted all the bidders and let them know what happened on the auctions they were interested in, I bid $200 on consolidation #27 but was sure I would be outbid.

On Nov 24, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

It is sold...   I did not get it but I did message him that I would.     These passes truly are as rare as the price dictated they are.   Just seeing one for sale is Rare..   Today most of these that survive... never see a sale page or auction.  They go to other fans of Johns, passing from one owner and fan to another, and it is an honor to have obtained my passes from Bob in this way.     Hey Bob, an honor to have these sir...

I actually had one of the most rare of all passes recently, an original photographic paper pass hand made by John form the very early days.    You talk about rare...    it went to another super fan of John's and has found an excellent home.

Yes indeed Warner;  of switchers, mail, and the cruel, slow, grinding of time...

  I see Chrissy Swarner is the superintendent of grounds.  Technically she runs the railroad.  She owns the right of way and you're just the guy running the trains.   !

Warner Swarner

Randy,
You are the man. Really appreciate your work in actively tracking and cataloging so much data as well as everyone else in this group.  Kudos.  Hope one of “us” got that pass but the $ was beyond my budget.
Warner

On Nov 24, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

It is sold...   I did not get it but I did message him that I would.     These passes truly are as rare as the price dictated they are.   Just seeing one for sale is Rare..   Today most of these that survive... never see a sale page or auction.  They go to other fans of Johns, passing from one owner and fan to another, and it is an honor to have obtained my passes from Bob in this way.     Hey Bob, an honor to have these sir...

I actually had one of the most rare of all passes recently, an original photographic paper pass hand made by John form the very early days.    You talk about rare...    it went to another super fan of John's and has found an excellent home.

Randy

Warner Swarner

Bob,
Agree heartily. Thanks Bob.  I treasure my pass collection from 70’s and earlier.  Wish we could restart the interest.  I have a bunch of my old Glacier Northern (defunct location and previous spouse) passes remaining for free if any one wants to add a nice GN style pass to your collection. If there is a resurgence I will have to get new Bearspaw Southern passes printed. Though, it costs a lot more now to use snail mail or Emma switchers.
Warner Swarner

On Nov 24, 2020, at 8:17 AM, Bob Burgoyne via groups.io <h0n3_bob@...> wrote:

Thoughts:
Beyond being a Pass, consider it is a tangible connection to the Grand Wizard of Monterey himself, John Allen. Connect to John, the Gorre & Daphetid, and his photography. Where else can you possess a part of the G&D? He designed the Pass by hand, reproduced through photography and hand signed and numbered it.
All said, its worth what someone will pay. For many of Johns fans... priceless! My humble fan opinion? $500 would be a bargain. If you have the slightest interest, connect with the seller before you lose the opportunity.
BTW: I speak from experience. Collected passes from the G&D and the DG&H, before imparting them to a fellow G&D historian/fanatic.
Best to you for Thanksgiving,
h0n3bob
Bob Burgoyne

On Tuesday, November 24, 2020, 8:22:39 AM CST, Gerry Fitzgerald <gfitzgerald111@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am not familiar with people in the hobby who still collect passes but it might be an active market. The price of almost 400 dollars might seem steep, but the G&D was unique, and certainly that artifact would be a worthwhile addition to someone's collection.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald
Crozet, Virginia

Randy Lee Decker

[...]

Gerry Fitzgerald

Hi All,

I am not familiar with people in the hobby who still collect passes but it might be an active market. The price of almost 400 dollars might seem steep, but the G&D was unique, and certainly that artifact would be a worthwhile addition to someone's collection.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald
Crozet, Virginia

Loren Martell

Anyone else get a Query message error?

​loren martell
Aloha, OR 97007

Ken Dodge

Hey Russell,

I'm sure it'll sell for what's being asked, but just curious, what's the consensus on what it should be worth?

Ken Dodge

Russell Courtenay

Just listed, I have never seen one for sale before!