Topics

1964 G&D Visit - Part 8


Bob Hogan
 

We conclude my 1964 visit to John's G&D with two overall photos showing the extent of his excellent scenery.  John loved his bridges and five are evident in the first photo.  That's my United "Prairie King" 2-6-2 in the shot.  We then rotate 90 degrees to the right from the previous posting of the "burn" area and conclude with this wonderful overall view of the G&D.  I hope everyone enjoyed this little visit and I was happy to share these photos with other fans of John and the G&D.  Thank you!
Bob Hogan


Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
 

Thank you so much for the great photos, Bob! It really adds to our archive! I count 13 photos (2 G_D-1 to 2 G_D-13) … does that sound right?

Did you ever build a layout? With those great locos, I would hope so. Feel free to share some of those, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Bob Hogan
 

Tom...
Yes, thirteen images is correct.  I'm happy to share with the group.

Like many of us, I migrated through various stages of modeling.  First hi-rail S scale in the late 1950's, then the HO you saw.  Then onto HOn3 D&RGW after visiting the prototype D&RGW in 1965.  Later I migrated to Sn3 as a better way to do narrow gauge (bigger, better operation, better sound, P-B-L quality brass).  After 30 years in Sn3 I went to S standard gauge with a ng logging operation. Here are a few shots of the old Sn3 RGS layout and today's SP/WP S scale standard gauge layout.  Thanks for asking, even though this isn't G&D content, although John's influence still prevails.  Bob
Inline image
Inline image
Inline image

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 01:42:23 PM EST, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <pr-line@...> wrote:


Thank you so much for the great photos, Bob! It really adds to our archive! I count 13 photos (2 G_D-1 to 2 G_D-13) … does that sound right?

Did you ever build a layout? With those great locos, I would hope so. Feel free to share some of those, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Charles Kinzer
 

I got 13.  Some with far less resolution than others for some reason.

 

It’s amazing how such things keep showing up.  It makes you believe there is still more out there, like the elusive automobile “barn finds” that some say don’t exist anymore – until another turns up.

 

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:42 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] 1964 G&D Visit - Part 8

 

Thank you so much for the great photos, Bob! It really adds to our archive! I count 13 photos (2 G_D-1 to 2 G_D-13) … does that sound right?

Did you ever build a layout? With those great locos, I would hope so. Feel free to share some of those, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

 


John Gallup
 

I've updated the PDF version of these pictures in the "Files" section of the group to include all 13 that Bob uploaded. Thanks for sharing these!


Rick Jones
 

On 1/26/2020 3:41 PM, John Gallup wrote:
I've updated the PDF version of these pictures in the "Files" section of the group to include all 13 that Bob uploaded. Thanks for sharing these!
I have 12 of them but am missing #13. It looks like I haven't yet received the original message in this thread - Part 8, which I assume it was attached to - though I've been seeing the replies. Checked my spam folder at AT&T and it's not in there either so it seems to be hung up in the aether somewhere.

--

Rick Jones

"There's very little advice in men's magazines, because men think, 'I know what I'm doing. Just show me somebody naked'."
-Jerry Seinfeld


Tom Milam
 

Is that you taking photos of the Rio Grande #455?
What ever happened with you Sierra #30?

Tom Milam 


On Jan 26, 2020, at 1:12 PM, Bob Hogan <robert_hogan@...> wrote:

Tom...
Yes, thirteen images is correct.  I'm happy to share with the group.

Like many of us, I migrated through various stages of modeling.  First hi-rail S scale in the late 1950's, then the HO you saw.  Then onto HOn3 D&RGW after visiting the prototype D&RGW in 1965.  Later I migrated to Sn3 as a better way to do narrow gauge (bigger, better operation, better sound, P-B-L quality brass).  After 30 years in Sn3 I went to S standard gauge with a ng logging operation. Here are a few shots of the old Sn3 RGS layout and today's SP/WP S scale standard gauge layout.  Thanks for asking, even though this isn't G&D content, although John's influence still prevails.  Bob
<MRR #5327*Shed.JPG>
<MRR #4294 BL-3.JPG>
<MRRng e#455 LH-3.jpg>

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 01:42:23 PM EST, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <pr-line@...> wrote:


Thank you so much for the great photos, Bob! It really adds to our archive! I count 13 photos (2 G_D-1 to 2 G_D-13) … does that sound right?

Did you ever build a layout? With those great locos, I would hope so. Feel free to share some of those, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR
<MRR #5327*Shed.JPG>
<MRR #4294 BL-3.JPG>
<MRRng e#455 LH-3.jpg>


Charles Kinzer
 

I also never got the message with photo 13 in my email – anywhere.  Even checked email online.

 

I went to the group site and got it from there.  When you get to the message at the group site, photos may not show for quite awhile making you think it isn’t there.  Be patient and give it time to load and it should eventually appear.  Then you can view it and save it if you wish.

 

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Rick Jones
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 1:49 PM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] 1964 G&D Visit - Part 8

 

On 1/26/2020 3:41 PM, John Gallup wrote:

> I've updated the PDF version of these pictures in the "Files" section of

> the group to include all 13 that Bob uploaded. Thanks for sharing these!

 

    I have 12 of them but am missing #13. It looks like I haven't yet

received the original message in this thread - Part 8, which I assume it

was attached to - though I've been seeing the replies. Checked my spam

folder at AT&T and it's not in there either so it seems to be hung up in

the aether somewhere.

 

--

 

                   Rick Jones

 

"There's very little advice in men's magazines, because men think, 'I

know what I'm doing. Just show me somebody naked'."

    -Jerry Seinfeld

 

 

 


Randy Lee Decker
 

Weathered Cab Forwards and Mudhens....     The best...  


Dale Smith
 

I have them all posted to the Bob Hogan G & D Photos album, but I still haven't received Bob's initial message labeled "Part 8."  I had to go to the groups.io site and download the tif file, which was possible even though it can't be viewed.  Not sure if it is my email (likely) or a groups.io issue.  Anyone else getting delayed delivery? Let me know off list if you are.  I do finally get the messages about 6-9 hours late, though it says I received them at the time they were sent.

Dale

On 1/26/2020 10:42 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
Thank you so much for the great photos, Bob! It really adds to our archive! I count 13 photos (2 G_D-1 to 2 G_D-13) … does that sound right?

Did you ever build a layout? With those great locos, I would hope so. Feel free to share some of those, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
 

Excellent work and excellent photos, Bob! WOW!

These must be in some publication. Right?

Thank you for sharing!
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Keith Roger Beard Trinity
 

Could someone post the 18 TIF (high resolution) pictures into the Photos please?
I see the low res jpegs, Thanks Dale.
Or if they are too big, maybe send in a gmail message? keithtrinity@...
Only 5 of them came thru in the DIGESTS or going back thru the messages online!
Thanks!
--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey


Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
 

HI Keith,

I downloaded all of Bob's photos directly from each of his message postings. There were 13 different photos. I have 6 large TIFF files ~22 MB. All of the other TIFFs are less than or equal to 1,569 KB. Maybe Bob can find the larger TIFF files of the other photos.

I believe that just because a file is scanned as a TIFF, doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be hi-res. I depends on the quality of the original photo print and the scanning equipment. You and Jeff Witt know more this that I do.

BTW, my HP Scanjet 8200 software lost 99% of it's great functionality, including OCR, when I upgraded to Windows 8 and now Windows 10. I installed the latest software for it … to no avail. Only option now is to buy another expensive scanner. I need to scan a ton of 35mm slides, but there special devices that do a way better job than flatbed scanners with 35mm features. I've used my iPhone Xs for some nice "scans." For example, I can zoom-in on a magazine photo and get better results. See the iPhone scan of Findley's TP boxcar in my photo album.

Hope all is well with you.
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Dale Smith
 

Keith and Tom,

Here on Groups.io, we are limited to 1GB for all our photos and while it would be nice to have more space, we can live with it if we set upload limits as we have.   For most photos that is quite adequate.   I agree that when photos like this come along, they deserve much better treatment than simply being put in the "emailed photos" folder.   That is why I converted them to jpeg and moved them to the their own photo folder.  I hope Jeff Witt can find a way to get them to the reminiscence project website or his own G&D site.  I am not sure if he is now running the reminisence site or if there are limitations as to what he can do there.  With that in mind, I want to point out a few facts about these photos that are relevant.

1.  Tom is right about tif not necessarily being high defintiion.   Not all of the tifs that Bob sent were high defintion.  The 22 mB files were about the resolution of a 6 or 7 mb jpg,   (I always save jpgs at the 100 quality setting with the least compression.)  The resolution was about 10.39 megapixels.   The resolution for the smaller tifs came through at 3/4 of 1 megapixel.  (1024 by 744 pixels), but that could have been because of groups.io sizing.  If bob can send the photos directly to me at flyerdisplays@... they may be more than that.

2.  Groups.io's photo viewer doesn't get along with Tifs.  It will view jpg, gif, and png.  The tifs were uploaded, but I can't visualize them on the website.

3.  Also, I don't think there were 18 photos, only 13, unless I have missed some.   Several were repeated in the successive messages.

I will be glad to help Jeff with getting up the full highest res photos if he wishes

Dale

On 1/29/2020 2:01 PM, Keith Roger wrote:
Could someone post the 18 TIF (high resolution) pictures into the Photos please?
I see the low res jpegs, Thanks Dale.
Or if they are too big, maybe send in a gmail message? keithtrinity@...
Only 5 of them came thru in the DIGESTS or going back thru the messages online!
Thanks!
--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Jeffrey L Witt
 

Dale and all,

I have been a bit distracted recently, but be assured I am thrilled by Bob's photos and have messaged him personally for permission to add them to gdlines.org, as well as to get the hi-res versions of all of them. Maybe I goofed up the message to him, or he got busy too, but if you are listening, Bob, I will build a gallery for your photos and we can add any commentary you want, as well as any links to your sites if you wish.

I am missing TIFs for 1, 4, 6, and 7 (the message links seem busted) and have only small versions of 8, 10, and 11.

In conclusion, I'm here, own/control the two sites, and have a backlog of updates. This project will move to the head of the line when I get all the materials in-hand.

Regards,

Jeff

BTW,  info@... will get to me. In fact any name at that domain comes to me.


Jeffrey L Witt
 

The email should have been "info at gdlines.org", it was masked by groups.io


Keith Roger Beard Trinity
 

HI Tom;
Looks like Jeff is getting all the good res pictures for the site.
Re you HP scanner, I too, have a nice scanner from the Win XP era that I could not get to run on Win 8. The installer disagreed with permissions or something.
Anyway, I have an old XP laptop so I just pull that and the scanner out of the garage and scan away! Saves space on the desk too as I don't scan very often.
(we have a all in one printer for day to day scanning quick scanning).
You should be able to find an old laptop with XP on it for cheap. 
I did a fresh XP install on it too, to clear off all the crap. Just do not go online with it as they are vulnerable to viruses etc.
Keith
--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey


Joseph Melhorn
 

Hi Tom,

I have a ScanJet 8390 that I had the same issue with when I upgraded from Windoze 7 to 10. No support from HP for Win 10 drivers. I did some research and ended up buying VueScan64 (https://www.hamrick.com/).  I bought the Pro version for $89.95. The company claims that the software will OCR though I haven’t tried it. I’ve been very pleased with the program and it was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new scanner. They do offer a trial version to let you check it out. I’m not a shill for them, just a happy customer!

Regards,

Joe Melhorn

Sahuarita, AZ

(916) 397-7507

--------------------------------------------------

 

BTW, my HP Scanjet 8200 software lost 99% of it's great functionality, including OCR, when I upgraded to Windows 8 and now Windows 10. I installed the latest software for it to no avail. Only option now is to buy another expensive scanner. I need to scan a ton of 35mm slides, but there special devices that do a way better job than flatbed scanners with 35mm features. I've used my iPhone Xs for some nice "scans." For example, I can zoom-in on a magazine photo and get better results. See the iPhone scan of Findley's TP boxcar in my photo album.


Bob Hogan
 

Jeff...

Opps.  I got busy this week and failed to check the site.  You have permission to do all of the above.  I'll get you both the missing and hi-res image versions.

Bob

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:02:14 AM EST, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:


Dale and all,

I have been a bit distracted recently, but be assured I am thrilled by Bob's photos and have messaged him personally for permission to add them to gdlines.org, as well as to get the hi-res versions of all of them. Maybe I goofed up the message to him, or he got busy too, but if you are listening, Bob, I will build a gallery for your photos and we can add any commentary you want, as well as any links to your sites if you wish.

I am missing TIFs for 1, 4, 6, and 7 (the message links seem busted) and have only small versions of 8, 10, and 11.

In conclusion, I'm here, own/control the two sites, and have a backlog of updates. This project will move to the head of the line when I get all the materials in-hand.

Regards,

Jeff

BTW,  info@... will get to me. In fact any name at that domain comes to me.


Bob Hogan
 

Jeff...

All seven requested hi-res scans have been sent to your .org email address (1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11).  When using them please credit Robert L. Hogan photo.  All have a copyright date of 2001.  Thanks!

Best!

Bob

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 11:08:12 AM EST, Bob Hogan <robert_hogan@...> wrote:


Jeff...

Opps.  I got busy this week and failed to check the site.  You have permission to do all of the above.  I'll get you both the missing and hi-res image versions.

Bob
On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:02:14 AM EST, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:


Dale and all,

I have been a bit distracted recently, but be assured I am thrilled by Bob's photos and have messaged him personally for permission to add them to gdlines.org, as well as to get the hi-res versions of all of them. Maybe I goofed up the message to him, or he got busy too, but if you are listening, Bob, I will build a gallery for your photos and we can add any commentary you want, as well as any links to your sites if you wish.

I am missing TIFs for 1, 4, 6, and 7 (the message links seem busted) and have only small versions of 8, 10, and 11.

In conclusion, I'm here, own/control the two sites, and have a backlog of updates. This project will move to the head of the line when I get all the materials in-hand.

Regards,

Jeff

BTW,  info@... will get to me. In fact any name at that domain comes to me.