Topics

smoke stack screens

I am wondering if anyone can give me any info on the smokestack fire screens john used of some of his locos. How did he make them..... where did he buy them etc. This is a detail part I very much want to add to my locos.
--
Russell Desmond

Charles Kinzer

I don’t know what John Allen used.  But WAY back when I got some beryllium copper wire mesh.  (Small sizes tend to be called “mesh” and not “screen”.)

I went to some company in Chicago that made it when I was about 16 years old.  Of course, they sold it industrially, but took pity on me and gave me a little sample.  Voila.

It’s probably easier to find just plain copper mesh.  I found this company, as an example (and I’m sure there are others), and they have mesh counts of 1 to 2300.  They don’t give a unit of measurement, though.  Perhaps that is per centimeter.  For the finest mesh, the wire diameter is 0.0008” or 0.0203mm.  And 635x635 mesh count (again, don’t know if that is per centimeter or per inch).  That’s probably too fine, so you probably would want something large enough you can at least see the mesh, and perhaps even paint it although chemical blackening may be better.

They have a note “Free sample 20*20 cm (if available)”.  Probably a lifetime supply for somebody adding spark arresters to their HO engines.

https://www.zgwiremesh.com/product/copper-wire-mesh/

It seems they also have brass in these sizes and also offer other metals but not go to as fine a mesh size as copper.

How to make them?  I think you just cut with scissors and form them and/or stretch them as needed.  You have to be extremely careful if doing any soldering so that you don’t let solder wick into the screen and plug it up.