From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of jsm5320432 via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2020 11:20 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: FW: [GandD] 4-10-0 John Allen Tribute Locomotive

Thanks for posting the link. Nice to see the G & D in operations. I didn't realize how fast they ran some of those trains! Looked like that last train was going about a mile an minute! It seemed way too fast for a local freight on a mountain line!

John Mills

Russell Courtenay

And modern dual-mode DCC is amazing!

Here is a brief video test I did on my On30 4-6-0 on DC, at the end the movement from one tie to the next is really slow and smooth...

https://youtu.be/OY5ekGoBVvE

On Aug 15, 2020, at 1:18 PM, Greg Komar <gkomar@...> wrote:

I too, thought that the trains were going pretty fast. In other videos I seen of the the G&D, with trains going slower, their operation wasn’t as smooth on DC as what we’ve come to expect nowadays with DCC. I think John himself would be astonished at the slow speeds and smoothness of operations that we now enjoy.

That 4-10-0 was some beefy looking engine!

Greg Komar

gkomar@...

 “Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks for posting the link. Nice to see the G & D in operations. I didn't realize how fast they ran some of those trains! Looked like that last train was going about a mile an minute! It seemed way too fast for a local freight on a mountain line!

John Mills

Warner Swarner

Just to add fuel to the discussion, 16 mm or 8mm movies of that era may have been filmed at slower speeds (frames per second) than the later copy or master transfer.
It is possible (like real old time movies) the projected speed may not have been that of the photographed action appearing to move quicker.  I am not certain this is the case here but “silent“ film was shot at different (Slower) speeds than “sound” movies.
John enjoyed slow smooth action but he did not get to enjoy the availability of can motors and digital control. All I recall of that ere was “half-wave” pulse power which tended to overheat some motors.  Transistor throttles were not a factor on the G&D.
Warner Swarner