Topics

The John Blanchard letters

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

-- Jeff, I am sort of shocked to see the construction photo that Allen sent to Blanchard in 1957.   In looking at the build photo's in the GDlines.com slides it has always seemed to me John had the Gorre peninsula situated very early on.  In fact, I thought Gorre was permanently there well before he had begin building bridges on this back wall section and French Gulch etc.
       But this photo shows that sarea and there is no way Goore is there as it is far into where the photographer would be standing to take the picture.

  It's certainly not any earth moving revelation, but I find myself in the process of heading toward the yards soon and then working the back wall toward Devils Gulch...  I am skipping Gorre completely, in fact I have to remove some framework there......and get back to this area later as it will be right in the way and even make Scalp Mountain hard to work on if I build it to soon.    This is Johns second year of work in this photo. 1957... the earliest slides are from 1956.    Did he buy the place in 55 and do excavation then?

This is kind of alarming for me, as it looks like I will be matching his speed.     I must start going much faster.  That month I lost has put me way back...   And Port and Great Divide have been kicking my proverbial ass so far, and I have to do some of the yard and buildings before moving on.     I hope things fly like I expect they will when I hit the open country.

 Anyway thanks for posting these letters here in the photos.   I hope more things will turn up like this.  I might have found another source.  Time will tell.

Randy

randyleedecker@...

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Randy,

Check Jeff's website and look at the scans of MR September 1961. You probably already have that magazine. It provides a great timeline of progress. John moved into the home in 1953. He got a lot done in those first eight years. Of course, he didn't show up at door empty handed. His final layout represented a lot more that just 20 years of work, as is frequently mentioned. In fact, it was almost 30 years!

Get crackin'!

1953....   Well then I don't feel so bad at all then.     I did not know of the timeline in the 1961 magazine thanks for that Tom.   My God there is just so much info on that site.  What an archive these guy's built for John  !

Randy

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 12:25 AM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Randy,

Check Jeff's website and look at the scans of MR September 1961. You probably already have that magazine. It provides a great timeline of progress. John moved into the home in 1953. He got a lot done in those first eight years. Of course, he didn't show up at door empty handed. His final layout represented a lot more that just 20 years of work, as is frequently mentioned. In fact, it was almost 30 years!

Get crackin'!

Randy, look at http://gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Goodies/The_Slides/Set_01/s1_028_wall_jul68.jpg

That picture is taken standing in the aisle to the left of Gorre. Don't panic! Compare the bridges. Gorre was indeed there.

And as far as I can tell, you are making impressive progress. Go, man, go!

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

https://groups.io/g/GandD/photo/89980/0?p=Taken,,,20,1,0,0    Well fun to speculate....   I was just a bit stunned as I thought Gorre was placed early on..  I am wondering if he had it so the legs were movable for a time...    please take a look at your photo from John in 1957 again Jeff.   The entire gorre mountain feature is nowhere to be seen and the angle the shot was taken from seems to put the cameraman right in Taylor Lake.    I am only fascinated by it as I am dealing with this now and if Gorre was there I'd be in real trouble to get around and work on the yard or even cross junction much less that back wall...   I know it was there...  He moved it from the old house so I am thinking it was still a movable section... in 1957.      Food for thought.

Randy

I thought that the whole Gorre and Dephited section was saved and brought from the Irving street house. This view of French Gulch is just to the left of the Devils Post Pile
and that section which appears to be missing is actually which is just out of the frame to the right. The thing I find cute about this is the little bar stool in the left mid ground. which John probably sat on while making the area ( Acheing Back Mountains) Jeff's picture above is slightly to the right and shows the slope of the "Post Pile" also the double track is the Dephited siding which was altered form the original single track stub to a double track on a bridge headed west on the expanded G&D. Later on the final layout he cut those bridges and the track was curved up to make a wheel stop. Meanwhile the gastronic cruises by on the track below. Well there ya go, but that is just my understanding of the G&D and I was a just little kid in diapers on the other side of the country in Maine back in '56

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Wow.... I see the mistake and why it totally confused me now.  Jeff in your photo's from Sam marked the blanchard letters... The photo that says reversed is the correct shot.  The second one that I thought was correct is the one that is reversed...   Totally threw me for a lope...   if anyone cares to follow along go to the photos section and check out the blanchard letters... those two photos are what I was referencing.  Makes more sense now..

Russ BTW, for menutias sake...  in the blanchard letter photo you can see the electrical wire behind the plaster scenery and next to the stool, that feeds to the outlet there.

Randy

Not to brag but I have 12 duplex outlets just under the scenery mounted to the bench framework. I didn't realize they were such an railroading oddity. I just put them there to run whatever power stuff I needed to run there.at the time and in the future The 2 under Piscataquis have those 6 way plug adapters in them cause otherwise the extension cords will be underfoot

Bob Friddle

That’s been my assumption, and why I developed a three-phase plan, starting with the lower river route to get trains running while I continued to work, then the high bridge route, then the island (shhh, sacrilege follows), although I have not planned to build anything near the actual Gorre track plan, and my thoughts on that have been evolving even more recently…

Bob

https://groups.io/g/GandD/photo/89980/0?p=Taken,,,20,1,0,0    Well fun to speculate....   I was just a bit stunned as I thought Gorre was placed early on..  I am wondering if he had it so the legs were movable for a time...    please take a look at your photo from John in 1957 again Jeff.   The entire gorre mountain feature is nowhere to be seen and the angle the shot was taken from seems to put the cameraman right in Taylor Lake.    I am only fascinated by it as I am dealing with this now and if Gorre was there I'd be in real trouble to get around and work on the yard or even cross junction much less that back wall...   I know it was there...  He moved it from the old house so I am thinking it was still a movable section... in 1957.      Food for thought.

No sacrilege my friend, John Allen's layout was one cool creation. His layout plan alone did more in the space he had than anything I could come up with on my own for my own space here without making a totally unrealistic bunch of hidden stackers and nonsensical destinations for the sake of more mainline. Even then not a lot more track. I have never seen anything quite as magical as what Johns cellar must have been...
   So any version of his layout or even just a well done scene that is reminiscent of Johns layout is a nice homage to John and it is surprising how many people will actually recognise it.   If you can pull whole sections of John's layout out of your work and your space, and it is what you enjoy doing then smile brotha.. cuz yer model railroading....!  and enjoying the best damned hobby ever invented.

Randy