Topics

July 2nd

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Next Week.   !
--
randyleedecker@...

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

That date's always on my calendar. This is John's 106th ! ! ! ! ! !

I'll be having French toast, bacon, orange juice and coffee on July 4th. I already have the French bread cut up. Us working stiffs have to make few date adjustments. For John's 100th, I made a close version of Santa Fe's awesome French toast. Man, was that delicious! Even used our Santa Fe repro plates and coffee cups.

I'll then, at least, run Dave Gorelle's GD #40 over French Gulch!

I got the electric line almost done.... and I threw a weight in an old Howell Day railbus so it will "make the grade" ......  I figure strawberry jam and pancakes and a train officially on the Great Divide.          Glad someone is still doing this stuff...

Is this what you have Randy? I really like the Mack AC railbus and engine, would love to find or build one in O scale.

image1.jpeg

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:56 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

I got the electric line almost done.... and I threw a weight in an old Howell Day railbus so it will "make the grade" ......  I figure strawberry jam and pancakes and a train officially on the Great Divide.          Glad someone is still doing this stuff...

Edited

Hey Russell, that's the little critter.  I got it apart and oiled the poor thing this morning.. Runs like a top but it has been in a box now for nearly 40 years and who knows how long it sat before I bought it.   The front truck on mine has smaller solid wheels.    Working that last length of track to close the loop.   21'   Going to be all cobblestone streets.

 Sometime after John buys the Great Divide the City will do an urban renewal project and run concrete over the top of them.

                                     Happy Birthday John

Randy

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is this what you have Randy? I really like the Mack AC railbus and engine, would love to find or build one in O scale.

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:56 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

I got the electric line almost done.... and I threw a weight in an old Howell Day railbus so it will "make the grade" ......  I figure strawberry jam and pancakes and a train officially on the Great Divide.          Glad someone is still doing this stuff...

Edited

It just kills me what you guys have available in HO; this little gem, vertical boiler shays, climaxes. Hopefully some day I’ll have the time and talent to fab them in N scale and make John’s spirit proud. Happy birthday and cheers to you, Mr. Allen, thanks for setting such an impossibly high bar. We know you’re smiling down on us all!

Looking forward to pics and video, Randy, I am learning SO much from your work and progress pics!

My favorite black raspberry pancakes this Saturday for anyone who wants to come over (my berries aren’t quite ripe yet but I just picked up some outstanding jam)!

Bob

Gabriele Lines – Route of the Angels

Minneapolis

Hey Russell, that's the little critter.  I got it apart and oiled the poor thing this morning.. Runs like a top but it has been in a box now for nearly 40 years and who knows how long it sat before I bought it.   The front truck on mine has smaller solid wheels.    Working that last length of track to close the loop.   21'   Going to be all cobblestone streets.

 Sometime after John buys the Great Divide the City will do an urban renewal project and run concrete over the top of them.

                                     Happy Birthday John

Randy

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Is this what you have Randy? I really like the Mack AC railbus and engine, would love to find or build one in O scale.

Russell Courtenay

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:56 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

I got the electric line almost done.... and I threw a weight in an old Howell Day railbus so it will "make the grade" ......  I figure strawberry jam and pancakes and a train officially on the Great Divide.          Glad someone is still doing this stuff...

Well my solution to the public's need for railroad transportation on an unfinished electric line during the late 1940's might just be the same as the real thing.  ?

      I built the little truck from a gear drive out of some old N scale engine long ago...  It is not running well.. the others are the only HO scale buses I can find in my things.

I think cobblestone will look great especially on a sloping street where you can see the details better and up top you are very near the model so with the proper coloring it should work really well.    That is next.  Wow it is hard to work with models in front of you on anything.  it seems like they are a magnet for the handle of a tool and my elbow is a dangerous thing when it is backing up.   I can't imagine having this area finished and having to stick my arms out and work on something.

John says....;    Breakfast is done boys , time to get back to railroad work....!

Wow Bob a vertical boiler shay in N scale...  I suppose it is possible now... but my god the mechanical parts would be so tiny it would be a museum masterpiece as in Hon3 mine is really tiny.

 I am glad the photo's help in anyway at all.  That was my original intention in this build as even though my room and design are slightly askew and a few areas are a bit cramped the overall troubles I get into are exactly the same things John dealt with.  The spot I am working now for a while, suffers from this phenomenon I am dealing with in my plans.   Right here, where the streets carry the electric lines into West Divide and the cutoff switch and tunnel entrance are a real choke point for me.   The dimensions of my room are about the same but I am missing the odd shape John had with a "large" alcove area behind scalp Mountain.    I had to pop out an addition to the addition I already put on the room and cut into part of an existing wall in the apartment in the other half of the garage to try and get the 27.5' John had to work with..  I am short by a few feet along that back wall.   So everything has been distorted slightly and I have to seal inches everywhere and anywhere I can to make this work. It is not like I dropped trace paper on his plans and went to work.   So this makes it really interesting and where I have extra room I intend to make good use of it and Make Joh Proud.. where I am tight I am trying to create the illusion of what he did the best I can.
     The Central Valley building would have been made 1/2" narrower than it is but I wanted to use those three windows that open up in front so they determined the smallest size I could possibly get away with.   I even recast and recarved the arched stone abutment so it could be as narrow as possible to save 5/8th inch.
  For fun  here's more trouble I am dealing with..... that might be of trivial interest...   The siding that spits on a switch up on the truss over the Purina building that runs over the coal tipple and above and behind the Orpheum Theater has two tracks back there.   It is not drawn that way and I am not sure if there is another switch I can't see or of the cars were just staged back in there.     There is the line in front of the West Divide Team and Transfer Station you can clearly see in the famous photo of Jim Findley on page 95, and then a track that has cars sitting in and under the transfer building behind this track.   Now I wonder if John had a switch down at the base of Witt Towers ?  OR...... this track might just explain why there is a track that Tom Hokel brought to my attention a while back in Johns plans on page 85. Look behind the Port Station, the siding is clearly attached to the high bridge track....  it has me thinking about some clever cutting as I have just enough space to make a track work by cutting into the wall there.

Fun stuff...  For what it is worth, these things should make everyone look again at Johns layout and have fun to try and figure out what he did and how he did it.

Yes, I do have a kit for the vb shay, it uses a powered truck and is a little crude, but hopefully a good starting point. Have some antlers too. Been watching for an affordable galloping goose but I really want that railbus! – maybe I can kit-bash it. And then there’s the CEO’s rail car…

You’ve got an eagle eye for detail, Randy, I will look again for those sidings. The trolley is going to have to wait for me because I want to get into the mountains first. I’ll have to take a selfie of me standing in my N scale port (no lift yet). Good thing I am still slim, but he knee strength it takes just to stand up straight in it didn’t occur to me when I planned it!

Bob

[...]

Ha....  lol I got fat....  the lift hatch in Port and the cutout by West Divide are a bit tougher than they used to be.  No Wonder John had Jim Findley in the shot on page 95...  I can just fit there and not hit the bridges but I have to be careful.   Again this area is tight for me to begin with JOhn had about a foot more space..   If I put the front track in that runs in front of the team transfer station.. and I cut into the wall to put the covered track (like I am now planning... it will force me to lose some weight.

New sign for the railroad....;

              ...    The Whitby Weight Loss Program   ...

                                  Sponsored by
            Necessity  & The Gymnosophical Association
    Meetings every tuesday evening behind Andy's Drug Store

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 10:43 AM Bob Friddle <bob.friddle@...> wrote:

[...]

Very nice, Randy. Hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

BTW, I added that calendar notice of John's birthday shortly after our IO Group site was setup. Nice to see the reminder automatically sent out.

The calendar is a nice feature, I added the March 12th Golden Spike date to the calendar, 70 years next spring!

On Jul 2, 2019, at 9:22 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

Very nice, Randy. Hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

BTW, I added that calendar notice of John's birthday shortly after our IO Group site was setup. Nice to see the reminder automatically sent out.

John Hagen

Edited

In the sincerest honoring of John Allen, a true leader of the hobby when there were so many that could have been.

That somehow sounds awkward, but I think all will get the message I was trying to put forth.

On another matter, the photo of the Red Ball Mack Railbus reminds me of what was available back in the high-volume brass era. Maybe they needed help in the running area and maybe the detail wasn’t as complete as a $2000.00 W&R 0-6-0 of today, but the variety and affordable costs (Yes, even allowing for inflation) of the times certainly helped the growth of the hobby back then.

John Hagen

Is this what you have Randy? I really like the Mack AC railbus and engine, would love to find or build one in O scale.

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:56 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

I got the electric line almost done.... and I threw a weight in an old Howell Day railbus so it will "make the grade" ......  I figure strawberry jam and pancakes and a train officially on the Great Divide.          Glad someone is still doing this stuff..

John Hagen

Matt Hosford

Happy Birthday John,

I have been away from my pike all year.....Today I got to do some renovations of the work shop......after of course pancakes with Strawberry Jam.......Hope to make some progress soon worthy of some update photos......

Take care and may JA live on in all of our lives and the lives of future model railroaders......

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Well John on that point we totally agree..  Those brass engines and fantastic explosion of products sucked me right into the hobby.  I still remember the beautiful brass streamlined hudson and the ambroid triple decker sleeper car kit in the advertisements in that first magazine with the article about John Allen that captured my imagination still today.

And Matt,....   Good to hear from you, get working on that railroad you've got a nice start there....

Randy