Topics

Yahoo Closing Groups

W.R.Dixon

Seems to be a comment going around on other groups that Yahoo is closing groups in a few days (24th).

Anybody working on the move to Goggle yet?

Bill Dixon

Charles Kinzer

That might just be a rumor.  Who knows.  But it would still be a good idea to leave Yahoo.

I’m on a number of groups that moved to groups.io.  I think that’s the place to go.  The sooner the better.

Seems to be a comment going around on other groups that Yahoo is closing
groups in a few days (24th).

Anybody working on the move to Goggle yet?

Bill Dixon

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ohh crap....   PAT....  ?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 9:01 PM 'W.R.Dixon' WRDixon@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Seems to be a comment going around on other groups that Yahoo is closing
groups in a few days (24th).

Anybody working on the move to Goggle yet?

Bill Dixon

Russell Courtenay

I haven't heard anything but have been moving my groups over to groups.io without any problems. Yahoo had a hiccup in their login for a bit and I couldn't move my bigger groups over then there were many problems (again) at Yahoo with accessing and posting to groups.

Groups.io finally got through Yahoo!'S mess and I am transferring the last of my groups over, good riddance to Yahoo! It will take a couple weeks to get everything transferred over.

I personally don't like the way Googlegroups are setup (for one thing, you do not receive your own emails back if you send a message to the group and there is no way to change that).

I'd say; if you are thinking of moving- go for it while you can!

Russell Courtenay

On Jan 21, 2019, at 7:24 PM, Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Ohh crap....   PAT....  ?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 9:01 PM 'W.R.Dixon' WRDixon@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Seems to be a comment going around on other groups that Yahoo is closing
groups in a few days (24th).

Anybody working on the move to Goggle yet?

Bill Dixon

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Can anyone contact PAT...  there is a few google search info things now about Yahoo ending support and if that happens I'd hate to lose the photos and files sections etc.  We can always find place to chat again.....

Randy

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:13 PM Russell Courtenay walruswebtech@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

Warren Jones

Global Belly Laugh DayJanuary 24.

 Did this  have something to do with the rumor about yahoo closing groups January 24 and some people are still laughing about their trick???

Mark Cartwright

Hello Group Owners....
There have been three such rumors before as far back as 2015.
However...?
Motely Fool also had groups and such rumors were wide spread...until one day...Yes, they came true.
So...
My advice...(not that anybody listens to me).
Consider getting the G&D or John Allen Homage Group Name/Domain NOW over on Groups.i.o.
Just be prepared so we have a place to go.
===
Also consider...NOT going to any other groups or creating your own with your own monthly costs.
I know people who have done that, since they didn't like Yahoo, and knew they could do better...
They Did ?
but at what cost ?
Soon they found themselves upset cause people would not pony up with a monthly subscription So....near suddenly shut down.
Only to be revived with a new owner who experienced the same phenomenon so it was shut down again...and the revived again.
=====
? Cause not every one wants to go to Facebook; and have their personal information hacked.
=====
Thank  you for listening....
Mark

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

I'd have to second this.   Get while the get'nz good.  Now I realise it is easy to have this opinion, sitting in my chair and not knowing the technical difficulties involved nor having to do the work.   But the writing's on the wall so to speak.

   Yahoo Groups is old school.  Now old school is great, we are all old school in many ways, but even the best of intentions are often relegated to the history bin, sooner, than later these days if you don't keep up.  I remember when Windows XP was the newest thing..    About the time this group formed I think...  ?

Randy

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM marcdecapri@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

David

Randy,

Windows XP is great.  We still have some software at work that requires us to use virtual Windows XP.  I wish we would go back to it since I wouldn't have to "purchase" Microsoft software online and then have to pay a monthly charge for the use of it.  Besides, Office 365 sucks!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 9:43 AM, "Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD]" wrote:

[...]

randyleedecker@...

Well on that I agree David,  in fact I like Windows 7 but the point being when they stop supporting it that means eventually they will send bugs to make it not work well at all and this will eventually be the case with Yahoo Groups.    So when my last computer crapped out I made the choice to have 10 loaded in to stay relevant and up to date in this fast moving digital techno pop world.

They can't take my DC and blocks away from me.   The SocioNazi's have not figured out how to do that to me yet.

Randy

Bruce Wilson

Yahoops has made another change that has currently prevented transfers to groups.io again. The owner of groups.io is not sure if the problem can be fixed or if he has the desire to do so.  It may be too late now.
Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario
Life Member NMRA       Member Gauge 0 Guild
Member Scale 7 Group   Member 7mm NGA
Member  Bird Studies Canada  Member Ontario Bird Banding Association
On 26/01/2019 10:31, marcdecapri@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

Rick Jones

On 1/26/2019 4:35 PM, Bruce Wilson wilsonbrucea@... [GandD] wrote:
Yahoops has made another change that has currently prevented transfers to groups.io again. The owner of groups.io is not sure if the problem can be fixed or if he has the desire to do so.  It may be too late now.
When? I just moved an e-list that I own from Yahoo to groups.io a couple of days ago. No problems for me there.

--

Rick Jones

Why do croutons come in airtight packages? Aren't they just
stale bread to begin with?

Dale Smith

There is a program called "PG Offline 4," which will make a complete copy of everything on a Yahoo group.   It can be used by both members and administrators.  If you are not an administrator, email addresses are hidden in the copy.  It is available in both a trial version, which has some limitations,  and a licensed version.  Just Google it if you want to download it.   At least you will have your own copy of the contents of the group.  I have the licensed version and used it to get the Vintage HO group transferred over to groups.io.

The reason I had to resort to this rather than using the groups.io utility designed for that purpose is that the only administrator/owner was locked out of access by Yahoo.  I had to individually upload all the photos and files to the new group, however, and it was a lot of work.  I have still been unable to get the the old messages over to the new group, though the PG Offline program has saved them in database form.  It is a question of format compatibility, but I haven't given up.

If the administrator of this group is still around, that is by far the best way to do it.  Ken Clark has been a great help in getting several RR related groups over to groups.io and I am sure he could be helpful here, and I offer my help too.  I moved the GilbertHO group over to groups.io about 9 months ago and things have been running smoothly.  The interface for photos is far superior to Yahoo's.  When moving over, you have to be careful about the size of the photo library as you are only allowed 1GB before you get into the paid account category ($10 per month)

I will make a copy of the GandD group just to preserve it in case Yahoo goes belly up and try to keep it up to date until its last gasp.  GandD has almost 16000 messages, but that doesn't take up that much room, less than 1 mb because it is all text.   i will let you know how big the photo, file, and attachment libraries are when I finish the download.

Dale Smith

On 1/22/2019 6:48 AM, Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

Here is the update.  Photos take up 1.08 gb on this group, over the free limit for groups.io and files take up 331 mb, which also counts toward the 1 gb allowed.  There appear to be no attachments.  If anything moves over, it will probably be at lower resolution, so using PG Offline might be desirable to use if you want everything at full resolution.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 11:19 AM, Dale Smith dalefsmith@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

I have no idea how well Yahoo will continue to operate but with recent glitches it is easy to imagine not being able to access anything.. easy to see this whole thing dissolve.

 Pat Turner, this sites owner, has a facebook page for the G&D he does not spend time in there either but has posted far more in there, than his own page he created here many years ago.   I ended my facebook account a while back because of the constant political spam... and now they will not let me begin a new account just for model railroad use in my name again.  They are a control freak outfit in my experience.
I bet a lot of guy's do not have facebook accounts nor want them, so this group would be well served in finding  a new home.
I have contacted Pat through email concerning these issues... but no response.  And I can't even see what is happening on Facebook anymore so I can't speak to him through that sites message system.  For what its worth I think someone would speak to him about this and soon.  Some of you guy's have known Pat for many years... perhaps someone could give him a call.

Seems like the time my be here.  Again just think it is foolish to do nothing.... as if not today, or even tomorrow but soon the Yahoo glitches will come an it may be to late t0 salvage things by then.  That really would be a shame after all this work and time invested in this group.

IMHO

Randy

John Niemeyer

All

I have successfully transferred almost a dozen Yahoo groups to Groups.io in the last 6 months. I’m willing to do the same with this one.

Is there any interest for me to proceed?

I have tried to contact Pat Turner recently with no response.

John Niemeyer

[...]

As the owner of several groups.io, I can select the resolution of the photo section. If we are over the file size, I can upgrade the group to a premium for $100.00 per year.

John Niemeyer

Here is the update.  Photos take up 1.08 gb on this group, over the free limit for groups.io and files take up 331 mb, which also counts toward the 1 gb allowed.  There appear to be no attachments.  If anything moves over, it will probably be at lower resolution, so using PG Offline might be desirable to use if you want everything at full resolution.

Dale Smith

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

I am sure someone will get Pat to take a few minutes to find the time to make a post and let us know his wishes.... This is his site, if for some reason Pat is not interested in things, either way, well then it is good to know we have guy's like yourself who have the ability to do this.
  Perhaps Pat will need your guidance to do this..   it seems that would be the best case scenario.

again IMHO

  I am a relative newcomer to this page.
  Randy

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM 'John Niemeyer' reverend455@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

I sent a Facebook message to Pat asking him to review these discussions and concerns and respond with his thoughts.

Bob Friddle

[...]

If past donations to help a certain valued member acquire scanner to scan G&D photos and slides is any example, I doubt you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees for more storage.