Topics

Musical thread?

Warner Swarner

Boyd,
Are you kidding me!  You too?  Another Strat lover. There seems to be a common thread here.  Not just bridge bridges,  but guitar bridges.
We may have a G&D Tribute Rock band on our hands.  The Bridge Brothers or Rail Benders.  At least another excuse to enjoy the interchange.
OK, everybody out of the closet.  How many ex-rockers or guitar Wannabes? are G&D followers?  I confess, I own more guitars than brass engines (ever). I know Russel is a guitarist/vocalist.  I suspect several several others have had more than trains in their garage at one time or another. Any confessions?  The Music/Art/Model Railroad gene seems to be on the same chromosome.  All my closest model RR buddies have been/are musicians.
Warner

On Jan 13, 2019, at 9:22 AM, boydw7@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Dave, as you can tell by our crowing both Randy and I are having the time of our lives. Haven't had s much fun since I got my first Fender Stratocaster in 1973. Although I learned to play that dream didn't pan out and I'm glad it didn't. Looks like this G&D dream is gonna happen. I have a pic of a temporary mirror at the Great Divide yard in the Gorre Northern album. Looks like the Cold Shoulder mirror will work and maybe Andrews. I don't have much of a Devil's Gulch on my pike but maybe a large mirror would work behind the corner curves that preceed my French Gulch...I'll take a look at that. I am now working in the high line above Port and the sweeping curve behind the roundhouse and then down over the yard to connect to the line from Angels Camp. Boyd

Bob Friddle

Oh boy, how fun is that!? Tele, Fender acoustic and Gibson ES 135 1964 hollow body electric here. Train kept arolling all night long!
Bob friddle

On Jan 13, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Warner Swarner wbswarner@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Music...!   Well certainly....! I did not know we had other musically inclined members... Have been lucky enough to have owned 2 stratocasters... one  was a japanese version from the early 80's and I swear that neck was the nicest piece of musical craftsmanship I have ever played.  Never ever should have sold all the guitars I have sold through the years..  Had and a slew of Rickenbackers including TWO double neck azureglo Blue 4/6 configurations.   Gibson double neck, a custom built Hamer 8 string Bass and more acoustic guitars than I can remember.   Still use Four Ovation Super Adams 1's and had a plan to recreate the best of the early 1970's progressive rock genre...  Band still has part of a website...  www.progchronicles.com  here's a youtube link to me singing some very old Genesis, recorded live...right here in my small practice room/studio at full volume.....  If your not into "Prog" you won't care for this but the musicianship is excellent...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hulSeyRq6s0&t=13s

Randy

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM Warner Swarner wbswarner@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Mackin

Trombone, sax and drums... poorly

Gary

Bob Friddle

Get. The. F. out of here! Is that really you singing Randy? Great voice, great version of a great song, I so enjoyed that!!! Progressive rock has always been my favorite; I went to college sitting in front of genesis tour guitarist Daryl Steurmer with his jazz rock band oceans in Milwaukee (he plays a mean Firth of fifth). And so many concerts with yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and the like. Wish I could play at that level, but I have a Lotta fun for sure and I will post a video when I can dig up the link. Reminds me of a conversation I had with the owner of Barr Mills at the narrow gauge convention here this fall, he is a bass player in a couple of bands, truly multi talented and a great guy.

Thanks, Randy, You really made my day! Are there more videos?

Bob Friddle

Gabrielle lines

Minneapolis

On Jan 13, 2019, at 1:42 PM, Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

John Reynolds

Some interesting things I have observed about model railroaders... Many have an amateur interest (as in love of) in music -- Some professionally also -- And many have an interest in history (and especially military history)....
John Reynolds

On Sunday, January 13, 2019, 8:24:11 PM PST, 'Friddle, Bob' bob.friddle@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

Ok here’s a recital I’m proud of. Duet of the allman bros’ Melissa with my teacher Ryan Smith who is currently lead guitarist for Soul Asylum, one of the benefits of living in Minneapolis.

[...]

Eugen Takacs

That is really interesting. i am just an amateur musician but spend almost half of my professional carriere in music industry among professional musicians, and many of them loved the trains and model trains.

Eugen

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Montag, Jänner 14, 2019, 05:37 schrieb Reynolds John atravellertoo@... [GandD] :

[...]

Russell Courtenay

Sorry this thread has derailed the group, my only addition.

Yep, guilty as charged. And wow Randy! You guys are good! I am more of a Neil Young 'regressive-rock' fan than prog rock but I like all kinds of music, with some exceptions....

I play left-handed Epiphone Les Paul and a couple of others. I have signed up to play at Boise's Treefort Music Festival in March, hope to hear by Tuesday if I got accepted.

My music Page is currently stuck on Zuckerberg's box but I have other spots online too.

On Jan 13, 2019, at 12:08 PM, Warner Swarner wbswarner@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

randyleedecker@...

Bob I am totally a neil young fan, lots of old CSN, any of the acoustic rock genre..Rock and Roll Woman from Buffalo Springfield and so many great classic tunes..    The solo act is far different from the prog shows for sure.   Wow the site lit up with guy's who play.....   There must be a creativity connection or something involved.

Nice Job on Melissa....  Another classic...   gotta Love it brotha..  !  Back when music was music..  and Trains were run on DC....!

  Randy

randyleedecker@...

 Russel....!   hey a lefty...!   Very cool... !   Wow yeah we are a bit off topic but some of us (including myself) are actually relative newbee's to this group so it is good for some people to kinda get a bit of a personal glimpse of everyone on some level.    I am actually a bit amazed at how many of us play and share so many traits..  I bet like me there are other talents and hobbies we all indulge ourselves in or used to even if it's not music...
   I think being creative it is the greatest way to live out a life.  Learning is as much fun as doing and doing is a blast if you become good at something and the interest in seeing quality craftsmanship and super realistic details is not much different from learning to place your fingers in various patterns on the neck of a guitar or a piano keyboard.  I have watched people stop working... and not have a clue what to do...  sit in front of a TV and watch a foolish ball game for a life.   Learn... Create... everything else is a necessary evil or just a distraction...

 Someone mentioned a share interest in History.   Yep totally me..  In fact I have authored two Arcadia Publishing Books on local history.    And the list goes on...  Stained glass work, Leather Book Binding, Wood Carving, ...Teaching myself to engrave in metal..  I am admittedly a total novice but built myself a killer bench and have accumulated all the best tools to do the job well.    So many hobbies and interests I have given up or that sit waiting...as I want to pour myself into this tribute to John.

Anyway, nice job on the music Russel...

Glad you enjoyed it, Randy, I forgot to mention that my teacher’s mike was off for the second verse. I love Neil Young as well, Eric Clapton, the Doobie Brothers, Elton John, James Taylor, the Eagles And I play a lot of their songs. Working on Cream’s ‘Badge’ now, it’s a lot harder but I am making  good progress.
Great stuff, Russ, I hope you get your show! It’s great to learn that other modelers have talents and interests beyond model railroading. I’m sure you have all seen Rod Stewart’s layout in MR, Where he said he was prouder to be than on the cover of Rolling Stone.
OK, a nice detour but I will be happy to get back to the John Allen discussion, and Randy I don’t know how you get anything done with all the writing you do, you must be retired But it’s still quite impressive how quickly you are working!

Thanks,

Bob Friddle