Topics

1964 G&D Visit - Part 8 - I mis-spoke

Dale Smith

When I said we were limited to 1GB of photo storage, I had forgotten that unlike many of the other groups I administer, this one is a premium group with 20 GB of storage allowed and not 1GB.   Our photo settings are set to no bigger than 1024 pixels wide or high, which may be a default.   It probably was set that way when we moved over the Yahoo photos with the idea of being only a premium group for one year.  As a result, we are using about 1/2 of a GB right now and have lots of room to expand if we plan to anti-up $220 every year to remain a premium group.  Even if we want to revert to a free group, we have room for expansion provided we keep our current settings.  For most of the photos, the 1024 limit is fine and gives a full screen display.

Personally, I would keep the limits in place with the idea of reverting to a free group after the year is up.  We have a close relationship with Jeff and the sites he administers and that might be the best place to put high resolution photos like Bob Hogan's, if Jeff is willing.  I have saved full resolution copies of the Yahoo photos, so If anyone wants to look through them to see if any of them are worthy of high resolution treatment, I can replace them in the photos section with higher resolution photos by temporarily changing the size limits.

I would be interested in other's thoughts on this.

Dale

On 2/1/2020 2:01 PM, Dale Smith wrote:
Here on Groups.io, we are limited to 1GB for all our photos and while it would be nice to have more space, we can live with it if we set upload limits as we have.   For most photos that is quite adequate.   I agree that when photos like this come along, they deserve much better treatment than simply being put in the "emailed photos" folder.

Russell Courtenay

Sounds like a good idea to me! Jeff’s site is the de facto standard for all hi res photos of the G&D, etc., I say keep an active link to the hi res ones there, if a few hi res ones are on the groups.io site that would be good for quick access. I really think returning to the free storage on groups.io this year would be fine but am willing to pony up if we need the extra.

I was quite shocked when I saw all these 30MB tiff attachments as Yahoo gave me an attachment size upgrade some years ago, as I have been with them since 1995 or so, but the max has always been 25MB! I’m not worried about my personal storage space running out except on my phone which always seems to have 15,000+ photos no matter how many I delete each month!