Topics

1964 G&D Visit

Bob Hogan

Edited

Back in the early months of 1964, I spent an evening with John enjoying the G&D.  Being his usual gracious self, John allowed me to photograph the layout and operate a few of my locomotives on the G&D.  As a young college student, I was just starting out shooting prototype railroad photos using a 4X5 Speed Graphic.  So, not only did we talk model railroading, but John also offered suggestions on shooting with the 4X5.  The G&D photos I shot that night (tri-pod with available light), and others, were published in an article I wrote for RMC several years back.  I'll post others down the road as time permits.  They are all TIF files I scanned for that article, so are fairly large.  In many photos it is interesting to see the yet unfinished portions of the G&D.  Like many others, that evening with John started me down the road to better modeling.
Bob Hogan

Randy Lee Decker

Bob, fantastic...!   Please tell more about anything you remember from your time there.  And please contact Jeff Witt @ http://www.gdlines.org/
 These photographs you have should be shared there as well for all to see....    This is great fun....  Always exciting to see new things.       Randy Decker

Bob Hogan

Randy...

Perhaps one of most memorable parts of the G&D experience was going down the stairs into John's basement.  You walked down a flight of stairs to a platform, turned 90 degrees and then continued down to the basement floor and the G&D proper.  The transition from real world to the world of the G&D layout actually caused a bit of vertigo on that platform.  This was my first experience with a large (non-club) model railroad and the first one of the detail/scenery level of John's G&D.  Wow!  That was all one could say.

Bob

On Friday, January 24, 2020, 01:54:39 PM EST, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Bob, fantastic...!   Please tell more about anything you remember from your time there.  And please contact Jeff Witt @ http://www.gdlines.org/
 These photographs you have should be shared there as well for all to see....    This is great fun....  Always exciting to see new things.       Randy Decker

Warner Swarner

Bob Hogan,
Thank you for bringing back more memories of your G&D experience and sharing historic photos.  Some people may ask: “I don’t get it!  Why do some old guys still ponder  the work of a deceased artist/photographer that built a model railroad almost 75 years ago?”   Answer: They may have seen pictures but they never “saw” it.
The experience of walking down the stairs of the house on Cielo Vista and turning to the left was entering a different world.  There was no outside light only the glow of a world-apart.  You didn’t “see” the Gorre & Daphetid, you entered it.  You felt it.   From all our surviving photos, all one can say is: “you were there”.   It was: WOW.
My hat is off to those of you who are working on representative replicas of the layout in a room.  Especially my respect is great for those who those who weren’t there but have studied the experience from these photos.  My admiration and appreciation is great for all who have given the nod to the Wizard.  You keep some of the thrill alive, knowing you can enter a room, turn a switch and see part of that experience come to life.
When I got to visit John Allen in the G&D, I had already seen the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Yosemite Falls, Mammoth Cave, Mt. Rainier, Niagara Falls, Empire State Building, and almost every big model railroad between Chicago and San Diego.  Nothing compared to the experience of entering the G&D.  Thanks to this group for keeping some of the memories fresh in our minds and accessible on our big flat screens.  I hope to get a chance to visit some of your layouts under construction.  One more time, to remember, what it was to "enter" not see a magic place.
Warner Swarner