Topics

1964 G&D Visit

Bob Hogan

Edited

Back in the early months of 1964, I spent an evening with John enjoying the G&D.  Being his usual gracious self, John allowed me to photograph the layout and operate a few of my locomotives on the G&D.  As a young college student, I was just starting out shooting prototype railroad photos using a 4X5 Speed Graphic.  So, not only did we talk model railroading, but John also offered suggestions on shooting with the 4X5.  The G&D photos I shot that night (tri-pod with available light), and others, were published in an article I wrote for RMC several years back.  I'll post others down the road as time permits.  They are all TIF files I scanned for that article, so are fairly large.  In many photos it is interesting to see the yet unfinished portions of the G&D.  Like many others, that evening with John started me down the road to better modeling.
Bob Hogan

Randy Lee Decker

Bob, fantastic...!   Please tell more about anything you remember from your time there.  And please contact Jeff Witt @ http://www.gdlines.org/   
 These photographs you have should be shared there as well for all to see....    This is great fun....  Always exciting to see new things.       Randy Decker

Bob Hogan

Randy...

Perhaps one of most memorable parts of the G&D experience was going down the stairs into John's basement.  You walked down a flight of stairs to a platform, turned 90 degrees and then continued down to the basement floor and the G&D proper.  The transition from real world to the world of the G&D layout actually caused a bit of vertigo on that platform.  This was my first experience with a large (non-club) model railroad and the first one of the detail/scenery level of John's G&D.  Wow!  That was all one could say.

Bob

On Friday, January 24, 2020, 01:54:39 PM EST, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Bob, fantastic...!   Please tell more about anything you remember from your time there.  And please contact Jeff Witt @ http://www.gdlines.org/   
 These photographs you have should be shared there as well for all to see....    This is great fun....  Always exciting to see new things.       Randy Decker

Warner Swarner

Bob Hogan,
Thank you for bringing back more memories of your G&D experience and sharing historic photos.  Some people may ask: “I don’t get it!  Why do some old guys still ponder  the work of a deceased artist/photographer that built a model railroad almost 75 years ago?”   Answer: They may have seen pictures but they never “saw” it.
The experience of walking down the stairs of the house on Cielo Vista and turning to the left was entering a different world.  There was no outside light only the glow of a world-apart.  You didn’t “see” the Gorre & Daphetid, you entered it.  You felt it.   From all our surviving photos, all one can say is: “you were there”.   It was: WOW.
My hat is off to those of you who are working on representative replicas of the layout in a room.  Especially my respect is great for those who those who weren’t there but have studied the experience from these photos.  My admiration and appreciation is great for all who have given the nod to the Wizard.  You keep some of the thrill alive, knowing you can enter a room, turn a switch and see part of that experience come to life. 
When I got to visit John Allen in the G&D, I had already seen the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Yosemite Falls, Mammoth Cave, Mt. Rainier, Niagara Falls, Empire State Building, and almost every big model railroad between Chicago and San Diego.  Nothing compared to the experience of entering the G&D.  Thanks to this group for keeping some of the memories fresh in our minds and accessible on our big flat screens.  I hope to get a chance to visit some of your layouts under construction.  One more time, to remember, what it was to "enter" not see a magic place.
Warner Swarner

-----Original Message-----
To: GandD <GandD@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Subject: Re: [GandD] 1964 G&D Visit

Randy...

Perhaps one of most memorable parts of the G&D experience was going down the stairs into John's basement.  You walked down a flight of stairs to a platform, turned 90 degrees and then continued down to the basement floor and the G&D proper.  The transition from real world to the world of the G&D layout actually caused a bit of vertigo on that platform.  This was my first experience with a large (non-club) model railroad and the first one of the detail/scenery level of John's G&D.  Wow!  That was all one could say.

Bob

On Friday, January 24, 2020, 01:54:39 PM EST, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Bob,

Thank you so much for sharing these great hi-res TIFF photos of the G&D! I understand that those Speed Graphics camera were excellent cameras. Your photos are testimony to that. These could certainly be passed a having been taken by John himself. You may want to create a photo album on our site and post them there … all in one place.

I remember your RMC December 2013 article and have a copy of it. The article only had six photos and left me wanting more! Nothing beats having the actual photos. There was one photo of Scalp Mt/Sims loop that showed the scenery across Giant Canyon on the right, but you haven't posted that one, yet. Look forward to more of your photos … if you have them.

These photos reveal more information. The bridge in photo 2 G_D-12 with the Sierra Railroad 2-6-2 loco on it was clearly made from a paper or embossed "stone" sheet vs. craved plaster. I assume that your is loco? Also, in photo 2 G_D-5, I guess that's your Rio Grande L-131 2-8-8-2 loco with the great weathering, too How did she do on the GD curves? Must have been okay. Very cool to see her on the G&D. (I have always loved that loco and Fogg's painting of it, but she's too big for my layout.) I can't imagine being able to run some of my own locos on the G&D! What an experience, and finger-crossing moment, that must have been. I don't think I would have had the courage … certainly not at the age you were.

I gotta ask … why didn't you make a return visit … or did you?

Well, Bob, this has been great! Our group needed a little dose of excitement. Thank you, again!

(BTW, it's easy to convert these to JPG format and not lose the resolution for viewing on PCs, etc. Of course, the TIFFs are fantastic. I don't think the photo album restricts the file formats.)
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Dale Smith

Tom,

That is also a great idea.  They would need to be converted to jpg images first.  If you want, I can do that when Bob is finished with uploading his photos.  As I mentioned, the photos are not viewable on the groups.io site as emailed photos, so I will take them down eventually as they are only blank pages taking up storage space.

Dale

On 1/25/2020 10:36 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
You may want to create a photo album on our site and post them there … all in one place.

Well, this is weird. I downloaded all of the TIFF files. Only four of them (2 G_D-2, 3, 5, and 12) were large ~22 MB files … all of the others were less than 2 MB.

It didn't matter whether I "Opened" them and then saved them … or just "Saved" them without opening them first.

My guess is that Bob has both hi-res and low-res TIFFs. I always thought TIFFs were >10 MB.
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Dale,

I see seven of Bob's photos posted in the Email album.
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Dale,

I've been meaning to mention this to you. There are two albums you might consider deleting. One has your name on it, but I think that is because you needed to use your name for members who had obsolete email addresses to dropped out of our group.

I don't want to censor anybody or anything, but thought these two album were … well, "useless" for our group.

They are "JA-WAD" (Dale Smith) and "The Future of the G-D" (Jim Snyder). Okay, Jim was making a statement … I get that.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Dale Smith

On 1/25/2020 11:33 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
They are "JA-WAD" (Dale Smith)

Dale Smith

Tom,

I agree completely.  One is bit off topic and the other is really off topic.  I will wait a day or so to see if anyone sees any merit in these and then delete them.  I definitely did not put up the JA-WAD album.  As I recall, we were able to use the easy transfer option to get the photos transferred but it had to be done as a second request as Yahoo photos wasn't working at the time of the initial transfer.   It put my name in for people who were no longer members.

As to Bob's photos, I saw the seven files also, but while they could be downloaded, I couldn't see them.  I deleted them from there, but I will take the photos from my email and convert them to .jpg files and reload them in a separate album.  They will be reduced to 1024 pixel wide photos there, but I hope Jeff will get them up on the web in high resolution.

Dale

Dale,

I've been meaning to mention this to you. There are two albums you might consider deleting. One has your name on it, but I think that is because you needed to use your name for members who had obsolete email addresses to dropped out of our group.

I don't want to censor anybody or anything, but thought these two album were … well, "useless" for our group.

They are "JA-WAD" (Dale Smith) and "The Future of the G-D" (Jim Snyder). Okay, Jim was making a statement … I get that.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

I went through all the files Bob has attached to his messages so far, converted them to jpg files and posted them in an album called "Bob Hogan's G&D Photos."  I also used the text of Bob's first message as the description.  With some of the high res images, I took the liberty of creating some sectional crops and added them to the folder.  I think they show some of the details of those great photos within the limits of the 1024 pixel wide display allowed on the group site.

Dale

On 1/25/2020 1:02 PM, Dale Smith wrote:
As to Bob's photos, I saw the seven files also, but while they could be downloaded, I couldn't see them.  I deleted them from there, but I will take the photos from my email and convert them to .jpg files and reload them in a separate album.  They will be reduced to 1024 pixel wide photos there, but I hope Jeff will get them up on the web in high resolution.

Bob Hogan

Thank you Dale for converting the TIF files to jpegs. I've long since forgotten how to do that easily.  Ironically, the S Scale Groups io site does not have a problem with TIF files.  I don't know what we do differently there.  If you don't mind continuing to convert the files, I'll post the balance of the G&D photos as TIF's.  I originally scanned these as jpegs, but I must have deleted those files when I rescanned them for RMC. 
Thanks, again!  Bob Hogan

On Saturday, January 25, 2020, 04:02:18 PM EST, Dale Smith <dalesierra@...> wrote:

Tom,

I agree completely.  One is bit off topic and the other is really off topic.  I will wait a day or so to see if anyone sees any merit in these and then delete them.  I definitely did not put up the JA-WAD album.  As I recall, we were able to use the easy transfer option to get the photos transferred but it had to be done as a second request as Yahoo photos wasn't working at the time of the initial transfer.   It put my name in for people who were no longer members.

Dale

Dale,

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

I just posted photo number 9.  For some reason #8 was already there.  In the large files that are higher resolution, the detail is amazing and it is interesting to just explore sections of them it on your screen in full size.  I will keep up with your posting.  I will also check to see how groups.io is treating your recent attachments.   As for converting the images, nothing could be easier than Irfanview, which is a free program.

Dale

On 1/25/2020 2:18 PM, adguytrains wrote:
Thank you Dale for converting the TIF files to jpegs. I've long since forgotten how to do that easily.  Ironically, the S Scale Groups io site does not have a problem with TIF files.  I don't know what we do differently there.  If you don't mind continuing to convert the files, I'll post the balance of the G&D photos as TIF's.  I originally scanned these as jpegs, but I must have deleted those files when I rescanned them for RMC. 
Thanks, again!  Bob Hogan

On Saturday, January 25, 2020, 04:02:18 PM EST, Dale Smith <dalesierra@...> wrote:

Tom,

Dale

Dale,

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ferenc Bihari

Nice!

On Friday, January 24, 2020, 12:35 PM, adguytrains <robert_hogan@...> wrote:

Back in the early months of 1964, I spent an evening with John enjoying the G&D.  Being his usual gracious self, John allowed me to photograph the layout and operate a few of my locomotives on the G&D.  As a young college student, I was just starting out shooting prototype railroad photos using a 4X5 Speed Graphic.  So, not only did we talk model railroading, but John also offered suggestions on shooting with the 4X5.  The G&D photos I shot that night (tri-pod with available light), and others, were published in an article I wrote for RMC several years back.  I'll post others down the road as time permits.  They are all TIF files I scanned for that article, so are fairly large.  In many photos it is interesting to see the yet unfinished portions of the G&D.  Like many others, that evening with John started me down the road to better modeling.
Bob Hogan