Re: sway back boxcar or reefer

Jeffrey L Witt

Hi Mike,

Yes, John described how to make swaybacked cars in the Nov./Dec. 1956
Articles "Aging and Weathering Cars and Locomotives".

He used a jig and steamed the wood to make it flexible.

These articles were reprinted in the Kalmbach book "Classic Articles
from Model Railroader" circa 1980. Obviously all are out of print,
but do show up on Ebay. If you can't locate the articles, let me know
as I have both the original mags and the reprints.

I have a couple of LaBelle wood kits, and now you have planted the
seed - I think I'll have to try it!!

Jeff

--- In GandD@..., "michael lynch" <madmike@r...> wrote:
Does anybody know if there was ever an article by john allen on how
to make his sway back car.
has anybody on this list attemted to duplicate one,
successfully !!!!
Follow up on the gorre daphetid pass at final selling price of $265
on ebay. In final couple seconds the winner ( colg886 ) bid higher
top price( $300-400) he would pay, over $260 than the underbidder
who,s maximum was only $260.00 thats how it works. They do not have
to use a sniper program, try counting backwards from the time shown.

I sold some extra mdc roundhouse gorre daphetid on ebay year or so
ago and he was the top bidder on one of my devils gulch and
helengon
cars i had for sale, which at that time sold for $138.06, truly
phenominal for a $5 plastic car. Price went from $72 to $138.09 in
last 10 seconds, i was flabergasted.