Re: G&D Slides

tom+hokel <thokel@frameworksoft.com> <thokel@...>

Keith,

That's too much! It is now beginning to make sense. It's hard to
imagine life without the Internet.

Let us know what you find out about the original slides.

In February of 1970 when I was stationed at Vandenburg AFB, I visited
the G&D. John was very gracious and ran the trains for us for about
20 minutes. I always thought that I would be back for a much longer
visit. Exactly three years later I found myself living in Southern
California only to find out that John had died and the GD destroyed
by fire.

Back in 1984 I wrote Jim Findley a letter asking him several
questions about the G&D. One question that I asked was, "Was anything
[underlined] saved from The GD Line? I just can't believe that
everything was destroyed. Maybe thrown out - but not destroyed."

Jim wrote back, "Members of the G&D operating crew who live in the
Monterey area tell me that the house was vandalized (unoccupied as it
was) several times after the fire and that helped preclude anything
surviving."

I was crushed and couldn't imagine how Jim and others close to John
must have felt. I'm glad that Jim wasn't totally correct.

I thought that I had read somewhere (MR or RMC), years ago, that the
original G&D section was salvaged and in some hobby in Monterey. Is
there any truth to that? If so, it's a well kept secret.

Glad that you are participating in the GandD group.

Happy New Year !

Tom Hokel

--- In GandD@..., "Keith" <1king26@r...> wrote:
That is my Dad....I will check to see if he remembers if he still
has the masters...etc....Keith Beard