Has anyone ever modeled the first G&D layout?

Tommy Schwnn

Hi, I'm new to the G&D group and wonder if I could get some advice
from you members. I was an ardent John Allen fan in my early teens
back in 1948-50. After all these years I have gotten back in the
hobby with a passion and my first mission is to try to model some of
those wonderful scenes, Have any of you ever tried to build a layout
like the first, small G&D? My plan is to start with about a 3x5 foot
module recreating the famous Gorre scene. I have a John Allen FSM
kit which will give me a good start. Plus a Scale Structures
turntable kit, and a Timberline Colorado Midland Bridge kit which
looks remarkably similar to Allen's straining beam truss bridge. But
here's my dilemma as I try to plot out the module. First: I could
really use some advice on the dimensions of the Gorre stone viaduct
and any ideas on how to model the stone facing. I've practially worn
out my copy of the Wescott John Allen book looking at the Gorre
scenes. 1. Has anyone ever figured out the dimensions of the
viaduct? If I could get one dimension, I may be able to plot out the
others. 2. Any thoughts on how to model the stone? Would you carve
it out of plaster? (Not sure of my artistic skills.) Or is it a
mosaic of flat tiles, like cardboard chips, painted or plastered
over? I've even thought of buying a bunch of tunnel portals out of
the Walther's catalog, but haven't found anything that looks close
enough. My second question is this: have any of you ever modeled
the sttraining truss bridge? Again, if I could get one demension, I
could probably plot out the others. And has anyone modeled the
supporting towers in the center of the bridge? I know I could put
together something passable out of dowels and scale timbers, but I'd
really like to be as accurate as possible if anybody had any kind of
drawing, photo or other reference. And one last small detail: do
any of you know of a source for miniature bolt heads or nuts that
fasten the timbers together? I've searched through a couple of
catalogs and can't fine anything. Lastly, if any of you G&D fans
have ever attempted to model John Allen's first G&D, I would love to
hear about your experiences. Thanks, Tom Bartholomew