From: Russell Courtenay via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:56 PM
To: gandd@groups.io
Subject: [GandD] G&D #40

So I don’t have much hope of recreating much of the G&D in O scale but I recently broke the budget and bought an old Hines kit-built 2-8-2 from the ‘50’s. I believe it was built quite recently by the abundance of Phillips head screws used.

Unfortunately, it is nothing like any of our local UP 2-8-2s so I started looking at other prototypes and found it is a near perfect match for G&D #40 (and therefore the early Mantua HO models) by removing the feedwater heater.

I will need to build a different tender also. #40 was quite camera shy so the best photos I’ve seen of it are from The Satchel photos from 2010. Talk about a sad folder to look through, I just couldn’t look closely at some of them...

Attached it the seller’s photo of my loco, I haven’t totally unpacked it yet because I am trying to get my outdoor track loop built, I am taking a break from ‘important stuff’ today and just dreaming with my new copy of The Book. No wonder I call it the Snails Pace Railroad... 🐌

_._,_._,_