Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] The Bob Hogan 1964 Photo Galley is now on gdlines.org

Warner Swarner

Ken, sorry I didn’t sign my name to the post.  
I believe these are Baker couplers that John used.
Please correct me if my memory is off.
Interesting story about John refusing offer for free KD couplers.
He did not use knuckle tape and especially disapproved of the “NMRA” XF2 horn hook design. 
Warner Swarner

I will try to attach a photo of Baker couplers.

On May 23, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Ken Moordigian via groups.io <TheKenWiley@...> wrote:

Randy,

I don't even remember what couplers were on Johns layout!  Although I was young, as I remember, John was always on the cutting edge of technology and innovation.

I would have thought he would have been one of the first to use Kadee couplers, and would have complained that they were much larger than the prototype.  What was his complaint about them?

I like to think he would have had a computer in the mid 70's if not before, and had his timeline better coincided with them, he would have written articles about sound decoders to inspire ESU founders...

But that's just my impression of the man.

By the way, I have a bunch, a big bunch, of Central Valley trucks from the 80's that I've taken off and replaced with Kadee's for the sake of the Rogue Valley Model Railroad Club... sigh... They're in storage until someone wants them or I decide to put them on cars I haven't bought to run on a layout I may never build!

Ken Moordigian

-----Original Message-----
To: GandD@groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:14 pm
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] The Bob Hogan 1964 Photo Galley is now on gdlines.org

Well...  for my recreation of the G&D I am trying to model an era Just before Johns... (1948) is the theme I am trying to stay with for all automobiles and signage and things that give the era away...  Wooden Cars were still very much in use and it is my modeling desire to show Steel cars as fairly new and clean whereas I have still have more than 100 beautiful wood cars of all kinds on the line.    So although they are built now... I am one of the guy's who is very much into wood cars and central valley trucks  but I do use Kadee's of course.

BTW  I think that sometime in the 1970's John would have given in and switched over to the kadee type couplers... at the time his layout was all about "Functionality"...  more than aesthetics.  His aesthetics were just better than most people who cared about it more.  For the time being his baker type couplers worked well for the layouts functionality and he had the little ramps all in place and the operators knew where they all were and lets face it.  Changing things on a major layout is far more work and time than if you planned it in to begin with...…. 

So even though I am a "wooden built" car guy..  I can't deny the advantages of DCC....  I am worried about the expense of it all...  I already have the best DC equipment made ready to go including the PFM system and all the toys..   So it hurts to have to make the change after all that research and investment in DC....  but hey at this point the feed wires are in and just hanging so anything is possible....

BTW....  I doubt John would have changed to DCC....  #1 DCC did not come into it own as a "go to operating system" and with more affordable components until within the past 10 years.... John would have been nearly 100 by then....  Today it still would be so much work he would admit the advantages (I bet he would endorse its use by new layouts wholeheartedly) and I bet he'd use some of the nice little lighting features... but I do not believe he would crawl under there and change everything out..... Couplers...  Perhaps...?    Who knows..      

Randy

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:
Well, the technology has sure changed the model railroading hobby a lot.  (For those who want the new capabilities, some still use DC and make wood kits.  But I guess electricity was new at one time.)

I have often wondered what John Allen would have done with the technology, or not, if he were around.  While he was luddite about Kadee couplers, apparently for practical reasons, he would certainly have appreciated the operating advantages of getting away from DC block control.  He seemed to be an operator at a time when many still just watched the trains loop around (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

The JMRIusers group (Java Model Railroad Interface) at groups.io has 9,609 members.  It was once the 8th largest group out of about 29,000 groups.  I see it has slipped to 30th.  Digitrax-Users is now 42nd.

To bend the off topic just once more on my part, this is a joke my minister brother once told me.

“The U.S. government gathered all the brightest minds in computer development to design the most powerful computer of all time.  The purpose was to ask it for answers to age old questions.  When they completed it, the first question asked was the biggest question of all, “Is there a God?”  The computer replied, “There is now!”

Charles E “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 7:58 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] The Bob Hogan 1964 Photo Galley is now on gdlines.org

To keep it on topic a bit, I had a monster computer put together for me about 10 years ago.... It was a large case Lenovo, business, think station set up.  Friend of mine gave me 4 of the newest dual core processors and a fifth separate processor that just ran start up and basic internet functions.  The others were for all large photo's and movies.. (I was trying to make some background movie projections for a band I was in at the time) and they could run several tasks at once without slowing down my browsing....  He stacked all the memory cards he had in the slots and my rig was like a server....  It finally died this past month on me...  
 New Rig is set up for running the Epson V-800 scanner I have now for G&D negatives (and my own collection of copied railroad negatives, as I am an author as well and still do a lot of research.......) This new rig has only two processors … they "each" are 4 times the size of what I had combines before...... and the memory cards are each ten times what all of the stacked cards I had before.    I could be wrong..  it might be 100 times?   

These things are going to become self aware....!    They are already smarter than a couple of the guys in here..   !  Including me...!  LOL..   

Randy   

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:55 PM Thayer Syme <thayer@...> wrote:
Check the lower right corner. It is nice to know you can Telex them for more info first.
On 5/21/20 12:38 PM, Charles Kinzer wrote:
While this is getting off topic, I’m also thinking of buying  a hard disk:

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join GandD@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.