Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] The Bob Hogan 1964 Photo Galley is now on gdlines.org

Warner Swarner

Ken, sorry I didn’t sign my name to the post.
I believe these are Baker couplers that John used.
Please correct me if my memory is off.
Interesting story about John refusing offer for free KD couplers.
He did not use knuckle tape and especially disapproved of the “NMRA” XF2 horn hook design.
Warner Swarner

I will try to attach a photo of Baker couplers.

On May 23, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Ken Moordigian via groups.io <TheKenWiley@...> wrote:

Randy,

I don't even remember what couplers were on Johns layout!  Although I was young, as I remember, John was always on the cutting edge of technology and innovation.

I would have thought he would have been one of the first to use Kadee couplers, and would have complained that they were much larger than the prototype.  What was his complaint about them?

I like to think he would have had a computer in the mid 70's if not before, and had his timeline better coincided with them, he would have written articles about sound decoders to inspire ESU founders...

But that's just my impression of the man.

By the way, I have a bunch, a big bunch, of Central Valley trucks from the 80's that I've taken off and replaced with Kadee's for the sake of the Rogue Valley Model Railroad Club... sigh... They're in storage until someone wants them or I decide to put them on cars I haven't bought to run on a layout I may never build!

Ken Moordigian