Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GandD] The Bob Hogan 1964 Photo Galley is now on gdlines.org

Randy Lee Decker

Well...  for my recreation of the G&D I am trying to model an era Just before Johns... (1948) is the theme I am trying to stay with for all automobiles and signage and things that give the era away...  Wooden Cars were still very much in use and it is my modeling desire to show Steel cars as fairly new and clean whereas I have still have more than 100 beautiful wood cars of all kinds on the line.    So although they are built now... I am one of the guy's who is very much into wood cars and central valley trucks  but I do use Kadee's of course.

BTW  I think that sometime in the 1970's John would have given in and switched over to the kadee type couplers... at the time his layout was all about "Functionality"...  more than aesthetics.  His aesthetics were just better than most people who cared about it more.  For the time being his baker type couplers worked well for the layouts functionality and he had the little ramps all in place and the operators knew where they all were and lets face it.  Changing things on a major layout is far more work and time than if you planned it in to begin with...….

So even though I am a "wooden built" car guy..  I can't deny the advantages of DCC....  I am worried about the expense of it all...  I already have the best DC equipment made ready to go including the PFM system and all the toys..   So it hurts to have to make the change after all that research and investment in DC....  but hey at this point the feed wires are in and just hanging so anything is possible....

BTW....  I doubt John would have changed to DCC....  #1 DCC did not come into it own as a "go to operating system" and with more affordable components until within the past 10 years.... John would have been nearly 100 by then....  Today it still would be so much work he would admit the advantages (I bet he would endorse its use by new layouts wholeheartedly) and I bet he'd use some of the nice little lighting features... but I do not believe he would crawl under there and change everything out..... Couplers...  Perhaps...?    Who knows..

Randy

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

Well, the technology has sure changed the model railroading hobby a lot.  (For those who want the new capabilities, some still use DC and make wood kits.  But I guess electricity was new at one time.)

I have often wondered what John Allen would have done with the technology, or not, if he were around.  While he was luddite about Kadee couplers, apparently for practical reasons, he would certainly have appreciated the operating advantages of getting away from DC block control.  He seemed to be an operator at a time when many still just watched the trains loop around (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

The JMRIusers group (Java Model Railroad Interface) at groups.io has 9,609 members.  It was once the 8th largest group out of about 29,000 groups.  I see it has slipped to 30th.  Digitrax-Users is now 42nd.

To bend the off topic just once more on my part, this is a joke my minister brother once told me.

“The U.S. government gathered all the brightest minds in computer development to design the most powerful computer of all time.  The purpose was to ask it for answers to age old questions.  When they completed it, the first question asked was the biggest question of all, “Is there a God?”  The computer replied, “There is now!”

Charles E “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10