JA's Locomotive #25

Al Clemens

Hello,

Recently I've been trying to gather information on #25.
I've located most of the G&D images in the book, and online images, plus the photo of Dave Gorelle's re-creation and tribute to #25, in his "new_yahoo" album.

A question I have concerns the item on the tender deck between the bunker and the water fill hatch.
My instincts tell me it's a air tank, but it has, what appears to me, a "flared" bottom, and doesn't really look like a normal air tank.
Also, I can't discern any expected air lines going to, or from it.

Or is it possibly a round top tool box?

Thanks for any illuminating information.
Respectfully,
Al