Re: Storage limit warning for GandD@groups.io

Charles Kinzer

I’m on a group or two where a simple donation request (PayPal to an email address) was how it was handled.  I think enough was donated in what seemed like a few milliseconds that the problem was solved, at least for a year.

I don’t think it is unreasonable for somebody hosting or providing information, without advertisements (and I assume without selling your private information), to have an expectation for compensation at some point.  I think it’s a pretty great deal to get as much storage as there is at no charge.  Groups.io has expenses and they have to get covered somehow.

With a donation request, enough will likely step up (perhaps more than enough) and some will ride for free.  That’s the way these things go in groups or in life.

Also, the group isn’t rocketing to the max limit but it is climbing slowly.  So this isn’t urgent, but some action is likely inevitable eventually.

If an action is taken to proactively free up storage, I would recommend ditching the email attachments.  They can perhaps be viewed as something with perhaps more transient worth than regular photo or file storage.