Re: photos and scanning was: 1964 G&D Visit - Part 8

Russell Courtenay

The latest iPhones have AMAZING photo quality, a friend has an iPhone X and when I compare it with photos from my iPhone 6 I am shocked! And I think my 6 is pretty darn good.

Still, a dedicated slide scanner is best. If you are into computers it might be easier to install Windows 7 on a partition or virtual machine or even on an older PC just for older software, not for online use, too dangerous with Win7 security issues.

I am not much of a fan of Windows since I got my old iMac but Win7 had a builtin feature called WoW- Windows on Windows which was a virtual Windows 95! I could play old Win95 stuff at unheard of speeds back in 95!

On Feb 1, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

HI Keith,

I downloaded all of Bob's photos directly from each of his message postings. There were 13 different photos. I have 6 large TIFF files ~22 MB. All of the other TIFFs are less than or equal to 1,569 KB. Maybe Bob can find the larger TIFF files of the other photos.

I believe that just because a file is scanned as a TIFF, doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be hi-res. I depends on the quality of the original photo print and the scanning equipment. You and Jeff Witt know more this that I do.

BTW, my HP Scanjet 8200 software lost 99% of it's great functionality, including OCR, when I upgraded to Windows 8 and now Windows 10. I installed the latest software for it … to no avail. Only option now is to buy another expensive scanner. I need to scan a ton of 35mm slides, but there special devices that do a way better job than flatbed scanners with 35mm features. I've used my iPhone Xs for some nice "scans." For example, I can zoom-in on a magazine photo and get better results. See the iPhone scan of Findley's TP boxcar in my photo album.

Hope all is well with you.