Re: Gorre & Daphetid in Sn42 – S Scale Trains

Russell Courtenay

Thanks Warner,

I needed that. I feel a song coming on. I finally restrung my 12-string guitar left handed so I don’t have to guess where notes are playing it ‘upside down’.

Interesting though: I have been considering a move because many have told me that, like O scale, many S scale collections are ending up in estate sales for good prices. Unfortunately, there is still a lack of variety of models available, unlike O scale: though it is not as prolific as HO, the toy train market is still quite large and some of the modern stuff made for the 3-rail market, though not cheap, is of wonderful quality for scale aficionados like myself.

I am also finding a lack of specific S scale narrow gauge modeling info online, much less than O scale narrow gauge. So research will continue.

I am minimizing my garden railway plans too as our landlord has said he won’t sell, no use putting more work into that, kind of takes the heart out of several years of planning back when he said he would consider selling.

On Jan 11, 2020, at 9:42 PM, Warner Swarner via Groups.Io <wbswarner@...> wrote:

Russell,
Just my opinion: anything other than completely replicating the full G&D, Having toured the S scale and Sn3 layouts in the Seattle area twice, they leave me “blown away”.  IF I were doing things over as a younger man and had adequate indoor space, S scale would be my choice.  Sn3 takes the approximate area of HO yet allows detail AND smooth reliable operation, scenic AND sound realism that is just not there in smaller scales.  Again, just my opinion, comparing what I have seen, there is so much You can do with S.  Having seen the BEST from New York Islands to California, (from the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream Waters) over 70 plus years, S currently presents a very nice option with all things considered.  I will stick with Large Scale, but S scale was made for you and me ....... sorry  Woody Guthrie moment.
Warner
On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:05 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

I have been a fan of O scale all my life and actively working in O for nearly 30 years. But the one difficulty of O scale is fitting a decent layout indoors as a loop of standard gauge is a minimum of 8 feet in diameter.

I have been considering selling off all my O scale standard and narrow gauge and investing in S scale equipment.

This brief article is the G & D connection I’ve been thinking about as I am a fan of the 42” gauge Newfoundland Railway.

http://www.s-scale-trains.com/gorre-daphetid-in-sn42/