From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of Don Mitchell via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2019 6:50 PM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: [GandD] The Day I Flummoxed John

[Edited Message Follows]

it was my good fortune to be able to operate the Great Divide yard several times in the days before trains were run up to Angels Camp.  The track arrangements there always seemed a bit illogical to me.  If you look at the large track diagram on pages 84-85 of "The Book", you'll see what I mean.

Trains arrived and departed through the tunnel connecting with Cross Junction.  The main track, indicated by the heavy line in the drawing,, connected directly with the leads to the passenger and freight sections of the yard.  Switching the freight yard meant having to use the main as the switching lead, so my practice became to route incoming trains to the siding near the point marked 50" on the diagram.  That elicited some grumbles from John, but no major objections.

What really flummoxed John, though, was the time I was switching the passenger yard and associated industry trackage.  That meant clearing the main for incoming trains until they could run from the Cutoff Switch onto the siding.  But, if you look carefully, there is an alternative.  I routed an incoming train through the industrial trackage containing the double-slip switch while continuing to use the main as the passenger switching lead.

"No! No! You can't do that!" was the immediate and loud reaction from John.  Instructions were soon posted making it clear to all operators that this alternative was NOT to be used.  Properly chastened, I resumed holding passenger switching movements in the clear for arriving trains.

But, to this day, I still think the track at GD was not optimal for operations. <g>

Don M.