Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

Charles Kinzer

It should be EASY to get some of this group’s member to pony up a few dollars if that is needed.  A very small consortium contributed quite a bit to make the Gorre & Daphetid Reminiscence Project (www.gdlines.org) a reality.  And that was vastly more time than the miniscule effort to move to groups.io.  There are now 11,008 public groups at groups.io.  And I’ll wager the lion’s share are Yahoo group escapees.

From: Bruce Wilson wilsonbrucea@... [GandD]
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:09 PM
To: GandD@...
Subject: Re: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

Transferring is easy and painless.  The only change is now groups.io is requesting the group owner become a premium subscriber for a period of one year to help offset the costs of all of the work behind the scenes reacting to yahoo move to keep the transfer functional.

https://groups.io/yahootransfer

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
On 3/6/2019 11:18, 'John Hagen' sprinthag@... [GandD] wrote:

It’s not  that difficult.

Groups.io has a program that makes it quite easy, well, easier than one would think.

The members are transferred, the files and photos can be done through groups.io without coping and pasting.

I am members of several groups that did this. The only time there was problems was if there were no current owner of the Yahoo group. This must be done by the owner per Yahoo regulations. If not, then a new groups.io group must be formed and all files, photos and membership names only must be copied and pasted. And the members must physically join the new group, which is really easy to do.

I do wish this will be done here as I am very concerned about what will happen to Yahoo Groups.

John Hagen