Re: Stumbled across this photo I haven't seen before...

Bob Friddle

Yes, Randy, I do believe that I noticed the bridge supports back in the days when I was studying the book like acolyte, trying to figure out the complexity of this plan, which turned out to be a fairly simple folded dog bone after all! It’s completely understandable that he would hold this off till last, as it is almost entirely elevated. Good luck figuring out where those bridge supports go in plan, which does not show quite enough spacing for them.
I’m still trying to figure out a better lead track set up out of the yard, also it’s been close to 20 years since I started studying it closely. Kobiyashi Maru, you know.

Best,

Bob Friddle

Gabrielle Lines

Minneapolis

On Jan 19, 2019, at 1:09 PM, randyleedecker@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Bob the overhead bridge section that crosses Port and in front of Great Divide itself and then on across the yards all connected to the High bridge that was never competed.    John was working on these areas that were done but of these last few bridges during his very last days and he did not purposely leave them out so you could see the headquarters building.  It was just the natural progression of the final stages of a complete layout.

 It is nothing short of a miracle that anyone was there with a camera and some skill and took photos.   But history has been kind to those of us who truly care, and some photos of that time do in fact exist.

These bridges and that final high lope was the last of the official work that needed to be done and all the more part of the tragedy of this incredible masterpiece.   To know that John was so near to competition and had finished everything other than the long, high, steel bridge to scalp mountain and to have his comments that he was not sure if he'd make it are chilling to say the least.  To have come so close and to have had his death and then the fire all happen within such a short period of time seems surreal to me.    I can't even imagine how it affected the guys who knew John so well.  Guys who had become friends and ended up as operators on this incredible creation.

Anyway it is good to still see the enthusiasm. it's been 46 years now.   Wow...  !    I can tell you as a new member of this site I have received all kinds of helpful info and people seem to go out of their way to point out things I somehow did not see.  I have a long way to go on my project... and without this site and the gdlines memorial pages...  wow, I could never do what I am doing using only the book.

BTW....As for this new bridge photo !!!   and wow what a photo it is..!   The CLUES were right in front of our eyes for 40 years...!  Some of us may have caught it but I did not...   Pages 20,21,103,105 and I'll bet more photos than these, all show the tall, wide, steel support towers sitting and waiting over the Yards waiting for the bridges. They are far to wide and to tall for underslung girder sections.  Totally just sitting there shining in the lights while I looked right at them and flipped the page...!