Re: john's car - correction to my previous post

Bob Friddle

I’ve been tempted to just build it into the layout design – probably would work best as an extension at Andrews that could double as a test track and be disconnected for travel…

Bob

From: GandD@... [mailto:GandD@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:02 PM
To: GandD@...
Subject: Re: [GandD] john's car - correction to my previous post

I have seen and heard about the timesaver .."game"... for years, I am not sure why but I never really considered wanting to try it, other than to just do it for nostalgia's sake ...   but the more I am studying the sidings on Johns Layout... and for ex; the switching I will have to perform at Port, and even for the Ferry alone, I am seeing the value of thinking about a railroad like a railroad man would.

  There are practical needs for every single inch of track and the railroads did not just run track for fun.  We often do because a siding looks better in one place or another or etc... In the real world it is easy to forget... that each switch and length of track and it's placement were arrived at logically and were as practical as the location or business need dictated.

  Finding your way through the daily job as a yard operator is really nowhere near as easy as I naively always figured it would be.  The railroad didn't just lay down extra track for you so you could dump a few cars or let you go sit cars out on the mainline so you can hook up a long trai to impress your friends...  LOL

So I'd like to try one of these if I can find one at a show again..   Operating a layout.as if it were some sort of a real railroad is certainly the best way to enjoy your work.  Plenty of chances to just run a train around with the blocks open... to get it out of your system.  But I suppose the best model railroading is done like a club with yards and freight deliveries and schedules to keep.

Randy

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 1:55 PM donm@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

To add to Kurt's tale, he wasn't the only one to ever hear John mutter about not making _that_ move while they were running the Timesaver.  <g>

Also, a little update on the Timesaver controls.  While it was DC, there was a speed compensation built in.  A variable resistor was wired into one output of the reversing switch so that the speed in both directions could be made to match.  Important, because the TS result was time based.

My memory as to the details of how the speed was matched has faded.  Logic says the the lower speed, whether forward or reverse, was used as the base speed and the resistor was then adjusted to bring the higher speed down to the base.

As always, John was thinking about the possibilities when constructing something.

Don M.