Topics

WSPR Mode

AE5IB (Kip)

I have seen people using WSPR mode for round the world balloon tracking.

What hardware are they using?

Is something available or are they rolling their own?

Kip

Alan Adamson

You’ve probably seem mine.

HIRF(w)-6 has been up now for 1.5 years.  It’s using my own little board, that I designed and made.  The board is < 1 sq in, and the entire payload weighs ~9grams with antennas.

I transmits on APRS and WSPR.  At the time is was launched I had one up with my callsign, so this one uses a friends – K4JCW

APRS geofence changes frequency as needed for geography and both radios shutoff if local regulation don’t allow for airborne radio usage (e.g. UK, and other locations).

APRS is 2 beacons 15 seconds apart every 2 minutes and WSPR on 14.0956 (20 meters every 10 minutes).  Both antennas are ½ dipoles for their respective frequencies.  I uses a custom extension to WSPR to allow for 6-8 telemetry values as well as location/callsign, etc

It’s solar only so it shuts off at night.  And it uses a supercap for a battery so it doesn’t have a temperature shutoff issue at 45-48k feet.

Here is a picture of the board and as it was at flight.

It was launched on 9/20/2016 and has reported in all but about 5 days during its entire life span.  It’s using one this balloon (SBS-13) - http://www.scientificballoonsolutions.com/products/

Hope that helps (all but the are they available – these are not)

Alan – W7QO