From: GPSL@groups.io [mailto:GPSL@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hojnowski
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2019 20:33
To: GPSL@groups.io
Subject: [GPSL] Wanted: Payload recovery team for GPSL

Gang,

I'm intending to reprise a launch of the payload we launched at Cornell
a few weeks back. It features a DTMF triggered secondary payload
release (the last one was a little Cornell Big Red Bear) with Parachute
and tracker. We attempted to release it at 90,000 feet but our DTMF
decoder didn't quite get the message. A failsafe dropped the bear from
95,000 feet. Unfortunately, the Bear got a little waterlogged prior to
flight (it was drizzling rain) and fell faster than predicted right into
Cayuga lake. It's sleepin' with the fishes.

I want to make another attempt with a, hopefully, better outcome. Since
the dropped payload follows its own trajectory, I would need to have a
second team attempt to recover that payload while I chase down the main
payload package. If anyone is free to chase the drop payload, I'd love
the help. It's not going to be especially valuable, just a tracker and
some token item on a hand-made parachute, so I won't cry if it goes
unrecovered.

If interested, please let me know!
Mike / KD2EAT
Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell

Michael Hojnowski

Nick,

The flight will have three identical trackers.  They're all APRS "Peach" trackers, originally designed by Alan Adamson, W7QO, though built by me and some Cornell students.  They're running with 1/4 wave dipole antennas and measured at about 15mw.  I've flown 12 of my own payloads with these trackers, and assisted in a half dozen other flights with them.  I've never lost a flight using these trackers, aside from that last drop payload that ended up in a lake.   That said, they're 15mW.  It takes skill to track and recover them.  It's usually advisable to have someone near the predicted landing zone as it descends.  If they're in a tree, you'll hear them easily a mile away.  If they're on the ground, it could be 1/4 mile or less, depending on terrain.  On one recovery, I had to unsquelch my radio and listen for squawks and driving around doing crude "rdf" until they were loud and clear enough to decode.  I know I'm a whacko, but in my opinion, that adds to the fun and challenge of the payload fox hunt.  Since the payloads belong to me, I can take that chance.  For other groups, we usually supplement with a SPOT or something.

I'd prefer to chase my main payload, since it'll have hundreds of dollars of additional electronics on it.  I wouldn't want to put the "declared lost" responsibility on anyone but myself.  The drop payload I'm requesting help for will just be the stuffed animal with a tracker, which costs me about $50 to build.  If we can't find it, "oh well".  I'll spend more than that on gasoline on the chase day.

Anyway, the payload I'm requesting help for is simply a fun and silly little experiment.  No harm, no foul if lost, or if people aren't interested in chasing it.  I can always backtrack to look for it after my main payload recovery.

Mike

On 5/19/2019 9:46 AM, Nick wrote:
Mike,

When you say a "tracker" can we assume that includes a GPS, APRS processor like a TinyTrack3, a transmitter of some power (we chased a 50 mw transmitter once that was a giant waste of time), and a reasonable antenna and that the package has flown before and/or had a reasonable amount of testing?

Would you consider chasing and recovering the secondary and let another group chase and recovery the main payload?

Nick
EOSS

[...]

Garrett, Mark

Michael:

Just catching up on emails after meeting you at Hamvention.  What kind of tracking device are you going with for the bear?

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

Garrett, Mark

Looks like my question got answered in later messages.
If the operations are exclusively on 144.390 then possibly tailoring the parachute for a longer decent rate to get more reports might be beneficial to recovery.  Since steering winds are not as prevalent as they are in winter, it should still be in the general drop zone of the balloons around it.  How many hours of operation will the bear have with the APRS Peach tracker?

Mark

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM Garrett, Mark via Groups.Io <ma-garrett=wiu.edu@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

--
Mark Garrett KA9SZX

Jerry

Mike,

I don't have a balloon to chase so I can probably go after the bear.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

On 5/19/2019 9:46 AM, Nick wrote:
> Mike,
>
> When you say a "tracker" can we assume that includes a GPS, APRS processor like a TinyTrack3, a transmitter of some power (we chased a 50 mw transmitter once that was a giant waste of time), and a reasonable antenna and that the package has flown before and/or had a reasonable amount of testing?
>
> Would you consider chasing and recovering the secondary and let another group chase and recovery the main payload?
>
> Nick
> EOSS

Mark,

Yea, when I ran predictions for the previous launch, I anticipated that the Bear would drop in about the same place as the main payload.  We had expected a much lower descent rate (4m/s vs 6.1 m/s).  Unfortunately, the bear fell at 9 m/s, and so fell well to the west of our prediction.  I'm going to try and do more drop tests with the new and improved bear to dial in the descent rate so I get a better prediction.  I would like it to be a few m/s slower than the main payload, so that they are in the same general area.  If necessary, I can sew up a slightly larger parachute.

Regarding beaconing time, the last time I did a duration test, one AAA battery lasted something on the order of 3 days.  It shouldn't be a problem for the flight and recovery.

Mike

On 5/20/2019 1:45 PM, Garrett, Mark wrote:
[...]

Jerry,

Awesome, thanks!  We can coordinate more at the meeting on Friday :-)

Mike