VA5BNC-15 will be gently landing in Georgia

Bruce Coates

Hi

It looks like VA5BNC-15 started descending at about 01:00 UTC at a pretty constant rate of about 70 feet per minute.  At this rate it will be on the ground in eastern Georgia by about 06:00 UTC.  The area looks pretty rugged so I doubt it will ever be found.

It's been a fun ride.  Time to build a successor to it.

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bill Brown

Bruce....I have the landing site estimated within a mile or less:  33.7961 / -82.4943.  My guess is that it may be on the grounds of Lincolnton Elementary School in Lincolnton, GA.

  I will see if I can round up some hams in GA to go listen for it tomorrow.

It looks like VA5BNC-15 started descending at about 01:00 UTC at a
pretty constant rate of about 70 feet per minute.  At this rate it will
be on the ground in eastern Georgia by about 06:00 UTC.  The area looks
pretty rugged so I doubt it will ever be found.

It's been a fun ride.  Time to build a successor to it.

Bruce - VE5BNC

Hank Riley

This bird couldn't have hardly landed in a better place in the southeast US except if it's so obvious and available that someone has already found it.  I was also working on the general location this morning.

Even the wooded areas right near the school and town are almost all tree farms that are meticulously groomed with zero underbrush, and scientifically spaced for rapid growth and high timber yield at harvest time.  Super easy to walk through those groves.

I believe the school is Lincoln County Elementary School, a parallel to the like-named Lincoln County High School close by to the southeast.

The entire count has a population of only 8000 people; the town of Lincolnton, the county seat, has a population of 1600.

Bill, your gang might want to stop by the Lincoln County Sheriff's on Humphrey (other side of 378) first thing on arrival and contribute a little to the sheriff's favorite charity using the big glass pickle jar so labelled for that purpose located in the outer office right on the end of the big countertop.  The old one with the fancy wood inlay work, not the formica one.  Real good folk in Lincolnton for sure.

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 02:29:37 AM EDT, Bill wrote:

Bruce....I have the landing site estimated within a mile or less:  33.7961 / -82.4943.  My guess is that it may be on the grounds of Lincolnton Elementary School in Lincolnton, GA.

Bruce Coates

Thanks Bill

It seems like a lot of work for 50 grams of mylar and pc board but if I could see a photo of it that would be amazing.

If the solar panel survived, which is unlikely, it will return to beaconning once per minute.  If it's on battery,  it will beacon roughly every 15 minutes with a path of WIDE1-1 and is designed to run for 24 hours or more on the battery.  Of course if it rains, it probably won't survive.

73, Bruce

Bruce Coates

Thanks Bill

It seems like a lot of work for 50 grams of mylar and pc board but if I could see a photo of it that would be amazing.

If the solar panel survived, which is unlikely, it will return to beaconning once per minute.  If it's on battery,  it will beacon roughly every 15 minutes with a path of WIDE1-1 and is designed to run for 24 hours or more on the battery.  Of course if it rains, it probably won't survive.

73, Bruce

Bruce....I have the landing site estimated within a mile or less:  33.7961 / -82.4943.  My guess is that it may be on the grounds of Lincolnton Elementary School in Lincolnton, GA.

  I will see if I can round up some hams in GA to go listen for it tomorrow.

- Bill WB8ELK

Bruce Coates

Thanks Hank

Sounds like a nice place.  I'm sure my balloon wil be happy there.  ;-)

Bruce

[...]

It looks like it's airborne again???

Climbing at 100 or so fpm, travelling east at 15-17 km/h.  The solar cells are charging.

That's one stubborn balloon.

Do you have a photo of the payload I can send out to folks in GA so they know what to look for?  What solar cells did you use?