VA5BNC-15 has taken off again from GA

Bill Brown

Wow....It took off again !!  It Must've needed to get some sleep last night :-) I will alert the potential GA recovery folks to regroup.

From: Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...>
To: wb8elk@...; GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 10:09 am
Subject: Re: [GPSL] VA5BNC-15 will be gently landing in Georgia

It looks like it's airborne again???

Climbing at 100 or so fpm, travelling east at 15-17 km/h.  The solar
cells are charging.

That's one stubborn balloon.

On 2020-07-14 7:39 a.m., wb8elk@... wrote:
> Do you have a photo of the payload I can send out to folks in GA so
> they know what to look for?  What solar cells did you use?
>
> - Bill WB8ELK

Bruce Coates

I'm very interested to see the altitude profile today.

Garrett, Mark

Just keep it away from Virginia, IL.

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

Bruce Coates

I'm perplexed how it can maintain a float if my theory of a small leak is true.  I'd expect thst the overpressure at float would cause it slowly lose more lift and it would slowly settle out of the sky over the course of a day.

Or the atmosphere in the south east US is half helium?  Ours in Canada is mostly nitrogen but perhaps you folks do things differently.  ;-)

Should have made that extra 2 grams of blast duct tape releasable.  ;-)

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

James Ewen VE6SRV

Bruce,

How does a hot air balloon stay afloat with a non sealed envelope? If your envelope has a hole towards the bottom of the envelope, it is possible that some of the lift gas escaped. Any gas above the hole would remain in the envelope unless the envelope is upset putting the hole near the top for the helium to escape. After sunset, the remaining gas in the envelope cooled and condensed, losing buoyancy. When the sun came back up in the morning, the gas inside heated and expanded, creating enough lift to once again become buoyant. The new float altitude is 1000 metres lower than it was before. That would be consistent with losing some of the lift gas.

We should probably see a slow descent again this evening once the gas cools, and the buoyancy decreases. The chances of multiple touchdowns without becoming entangled in something are slim, but it would be cool to see it come to life again tomorrow...

Do you have any self-quarantine routines built into the payload? Does it have a passport for visiting the USA? :)

James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

Bruce Coates

Quarantine will likely be 14 days at the top of a tree or Atlantic ocean.  ;-)

Bill Brown

More like in a swamp in SC :-)  My prediction shows it has likely landed about 2 km NW of the last APRS position at 33.3816 / -80.9417  in a clearing near Cooper Swamp just south of Orangeburg, SC.

If it lands in the clearing you have a chance of taking off again tomorrow morning.

I don't think there is a big leak...just normal every day loss which is possibly higher with the 2017 batch of balloons....either that or there was some leakage out of the balloon's filling port during high peak pressure. You now have a hot air solar balloon instead of a superpressure balloon.