Topics

University Project Teams using Balloons?

Michael Hojnowski

Hey Gang,

So a colleague here at Cornell is entering his PHD program in Atmospheric Sciences, and is quite interested in balloons.  He may well do a thesis using superpressure balloons.  Anyway, he is also working with his professor, and interested in kicking off a student project team to do HAB related projects.  At Cornell, we have a TON of project teams that compete with other universities.  We have autonomous vehicles, drones, submarines, rocket teams, just to name a few engineering related ones.  Anyway, it looks like he may create a "Balloon Team".  The problem is, we're not aware of any other Universities doing a similar thing.  Does anyone know of other schools doing such stuff?  Competition leads to innovation!!!!  :-)

Mike / KD2EAT
Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell

BASE_DePauw

Mike,

Here are a few possible matches:

Iowa State:  https://m2i.aere.iastate.edu/habet/  (Matthew Nelson is a good connection to the Stratospheric Ballooning Association, which could yield more schools, see:  https://www.stratoballooning.org/  or  https://www.facebook.com/stratoballooning/ )

University of Southern Indiana:  http://usinearspace.com/

Metropolitan Community College Omaha Nebraska might have some interest:  http://nearspacescience.com/

Howard, KC9QBN
BASE_DePauw

--
Howard L. Brooks
Professor of Physics and Astronomy

Jeff Ducklow

You might consider making contacts by leveraging  NASA’s Space Grant Network.  It is quite large and typically connected with big universities across the USA.

Here is a  Link: https://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/spacegrant/about/index.html

From that web site:  "The Space Grant national network includes over 850 affiliates from universities, colleges, industry, museums, science centers, and state and local agencies. These affiliates belong to one of 52 consortia in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

I know that University of Minnesota is a part of NASA’s Space Grant Network.  They have an active group of students that are pursing science with Rocketry and HAB.

You could reach out to Dr. James Flaten, MnSGC Associate Director, flate001@...

Jeff Ducklow
MerryBerry Galactic
N0NQN

On Aug 23, 2019, at 9:53 AM, BASE_DePauw <hlbrooks@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Brown

University of Alabama Huntsville had a BalloonSat course for almost a decade as a ECE senior design project. We launched over 60 balloons. It sadly was discontinued. However they have a Space Hardware Club that flies balloon payloads each semester. -Bill WB8ELK