Topics

Tallahassee Elementary School Launching High Altitude Balloons

Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Eick, Monique" <eickm@...>
Subject: Tallahassee Elementary School Launching High Altitude Balloons
Date: November 13, 2017 at 9:29:02 PM CST

To whom it may concern,

I am an elementary school teacher from Tallahassee FL. We have been launching high altitude balloons at our school for the past 4 years and are looking to continuously improve our program with our students.

Specifically I’m looking for recommendations regarding technology placed on balloons for tracking the balloons. We had some issues with our tech last year and are hoping to rectify some of those issues this year.

We have purchased our flight computers and ARPS radio transmitters from High Altitude Science in the past, however some of the items we need for our flights this year are out of stock. We also had some issues with the ARPS radio transmitters cutting out as well as the flight computers powering off mid-flight, as well as some technical issues with our flight computers and gopros cutting off early.

Our launch is scheduled for March 9th, 2018.

Our students are always so excited to watch the launch and recovery of our high altitude balloons. We have also livestreamed the event for the past two years so that other schools in our county, state, and across the country to participate in the launch and recovery of our weather balloons and our students have made science videos to get other students excited about STEM learning. Our event website is www.soarintoscience.com

Any assistance or tips you could lend us would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and assistance in helping make our launch successful again this year!

Monique Eick
4th Grade Teacher
Buck Lake Elementary

Keith, WA0̷TJT