Topics

Student Experiment Advice

Mike, n0mpm

I have a team of high school seniors interested in trying to collect and look for atmospheric particles at 70k feet and above.  Has anyone tried doing this and if so any advice on how to design this type of experiment (without breaking the bank on complexity, weight and cost)??
thanks
mike  PENS

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

The way I tried to do this is with a petri dish that was opened up by a servo at high altitude.

I think a petri dish is too small so I would make a large expanded foam petri dish, perhaps a foot across. Spray the interior with sticky glue and then have a servo keep the lid shut until the balloonbgets to a high enough altitude. You want to make sure to shut the lid before the balloon burst because the balloon will drop talcum powder and latex fragments that will contaminate your results.