Rescheduled: High Altitude Balloon Launch on Sunday, 10/10/2021 at 1:00pm EDT

Michael Hojnowski

Hello,

The Amateur Radio Club at Cornell will be launching a High Altitude Balloon Sunday afternoon, October 10, 2021 at 1:00pm EDT.  We'll launch from the vicinity of Penn Yan, NY with a predicted landing near Genoa, NY, at approximately 2:04pm.   This is a reschedule of the rained-out launch scheduled for this morning, 10/9/2021.

The flight will have several redundant trackers onboard.  They'll be beaconing on APRS on W2CXM-11 and W2CXM-12.  They will also have an experimental LoRa based tracker which will be uploaded to Habhub as W2CXM-10.  (Geeky details: ESP32 TTGO T-Beam transmitting custom telemetry on 915 MHZ LoRa at 100mw).

You can follow along with the balloons and chase vehicles at:

https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=9&kml=http%3A%2F%2Fthehojos.com%2F~mqh1%2Fsail10a.kml&call=a%2FKC2ANT-9%2Ca%2FKD2EAT-9%2Ca%2FW2CXM-11%2Ca%2FW2CXM-12&timerange=21600&tail=21600

In flight predictions, and hopefully, our experimental tracker will show up on HabHub here:

https://tracker.habhub.org/#!mt=roadmap&mz=7&qm=1_day&mc=42.47022,-76.47982&q=!RS_

Finally, for the duration of the flight, we will be running a Zoom session.  People are welcomed to join and chat during the flight. The chase vehicles will be connecting as well.  I'll be on there with audio-only since I'll be in and out of internet coverage as I chase the balloon.  Please note, there may be long periods of silence, and we’ll be quite busy during pre-launch setup.  Feel free to chat amongst yourselves.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cornell.zoom.us/j/99753914456?pwd=Sy80UUdKZ2pRalR5WXVaWFVTZlZkUT09

Meeting ID: 997 5391 4456

Passcode: 563578

One tap mobile

+16465189805,,99753914456# US (New York)

+16468769923,,99753914456# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 646 518 9805 US (New York)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

Finally, if you should decide to join us on the chase, we request that if you arrive at the landing location that you leave the payload undisturbed so that the students can get pictures and such. Also, please do not enter anyone's property without obtaining permission first.

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

Mike / KD2EAT

Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell

Michael Hojnowski

Gang,

Just a followup.  Our flight today was a stunning success.  We reached apogee at 102,385 feet (a little more than predicted), and landed in an already-harvested corn field, in sight of the road, for a trivial recovery.

The solar sail deployment "money shot" from a 360 degree camera was pretty darn cool!

https://youtu.be/yg8Fhc0KTu4

The student team also successfully tested a Rockblock Iridium modem and were very satisfied with the results (it's what released the sail).  They also had a LoRa device sending telemetry to the ground with a cheezy stub antenna, and they received telemetry all the way to apogee.  This was a huge success for their team.

It was a great day!
Mike / KD2EAT

Clif Brown

That's a spectacular shot!

It never occurred to me that a camera could be mounted on a boom and pointed back at the payload.

May have to try that on a future launch.

Clif/KW4CL