Topics

Recoveries

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

The second launch site launched 5 balloons and three of them have been recovered.

The first one broke loose of the parachute and took off without the tracker so we're writing that flight off.

The last one landed nearing major road south of Boise and it appears to have been picked up by a stranger. This flight reach the 124700 feet and landed far west of the rest of the balloons. However, we were recovering the other balloons first and this one was out in the desert near. major road for several hours before we got there. We have a good bead on its landing site and search the area thoroughly. Since there's no balloon to be found I am assuming that a stranger picked it up.

Mark Conner N9XTN

Glad to hear most of them are safely recovered.  Anything from EOSS?  I saw a few vehicles that seemed to be heading that direction.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 7:50 PM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
The second launch site launched 5 balloons and three of them have been recovered.

The first one broke loose of the parachute and took off without the tracker so we're writing that flight off.

The last one landed nearing major road south of Boise and it appears to have been picked up by a stranger. This flight reach the 124700 feet and landed far west of the rest of the balloons. However, we were recovering the other balloons first and this one was out in the desert near. major road for several hours before we got there. We have a good bead on its landing site and search the area thoroughly. Since there's no balloon to be found I am assuming that a stranger picked it up.

Mark Conner N9XTN

I see some what I think are EOSS vehicles headed back towards Boise on Hwy 21.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 8:24 PM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

John Kovac KM6GKF

Hope that last payload finds its way home eventually.

The line on ours broke about a foot below the parachute.  The only thing I can figure is that the line somehow snagged around a small part of he tracker, which was on the line below the parachute, and cut it when it came under tension.

We were using the flight line sold by High Altitude Science.   I doubt that the line itself was at fault, but would like to know what others are using for flight line.

In spite of our failure, we enjoyed event very much.  It was great to meet all of you.

The second launch site launched 5 balloons and three of them have been recovered.

The first one broke loose of the parachute and took off without the tracker so we're writing that flight off.

The last one landed nearing major road south of Boise and it appears to have been picked up by a stranger. This flight reach the 124700 feet and landed far west of the rest of the balloons. However, we were recovering the other balloons first and this one was out in the desert near. major road for several hours before we got there. We have a good bead on its landing site and search the area thoroughly. Since there's no balloon to be found I am assuming that a stranger picked it up.

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I am using face in kite string in some places and woven nylon line I pick up at Wal-Mart.

I will try to get out to the Bay Area over Labor Day to do a launch. I have a 1,000 gram that would be perfect.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 11:36 PM John Kovac KM6GKF <jkovac@...> wrote:
[...]

That's woven Dacron, not face. Dang spell checker.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 11:42 PM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

We will help you with whatever you need when you're down here, Paul.  We should be in town that weekend.