Topics

Recommended Tracking Equipment for a HAB

Jason Unwin

Our Civil Air Patrol unit in Oklahoma is trying to organize a high altitude balloon launch for its cadets. We are trying to accomplish the following goals for the equipment:

1. APRS position reporting with a back up.

2. Radio beacon with back up if the APRS fails.

3. Simple to operate and turn on so that there is not a lot of training involved to operate it.

4. Ideally, as low cost as possible so we can afford the helium. Hydrogen is out of the question.

Here are some possible equipment options we were thinking of using:

Sansonic APRS Tracker

MicroTrak 1000

Micro Fox 15

Tracksoar Ready To Fly

We also have access to a Raspberry PI kit with the following:

Raspberry Pi is a tiny computer that helps teach programming through a variety of practical projects. Included in the Civil Air Patrol STEM Kit:

    Raspberry Pi Core Kit

    Real Time clock breakout board kit

    Blue & White 16x2 LCD + Keypad kit

    GPS Breakout

    Touchscreen

    Sensor Pack

    Camera Board

Are there any other things we could use? I realize this is a little subjective but we are looking for simple, reliable, and ideally moderately priced equipment.

Sincerely,

--

Major Jason B. Unwin, CAP

Muskogee Composite Squadron,Professional Development Officer

Aerospace Education Officer

©918-616-0578

U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

gocivilairpatrol.com

http://www.okwgcap.org/25010

Website: http://www.okwgcap.org/161709_2

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MuskogeeCAP/?ref=br_rs

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

What about using a PICAXE or BASIC Stamp to teach programming? They use BASIC which is an easier programming language to learn.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018, 10:31 AM Jason Unwin via Groups.Io <generalripper_1999=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Steve Aerospace

If your using a Raspberry Pi why not consider the Raspberry Pi  Pi-In-The-Sky APRS variant:

    https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=52

    Steve G8KHW

On 19/06/2018 17:31, Jason Unwin via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Steve Randall
Random Engineering Ltd
steve@...
+44 7802 242135

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.
Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free from any virus or other defect which might affect any system into which they are opened or received, it is the responsibility of the recipient to check that they are virus free and that they will in no way affect systems and data.
No responsibility is accepted by Random Engineering Ltd. for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.
Random Engineering is a Limited company, registered in England, Registered no: 06393823. Registered Office: 47 Western Ave., Felixstowe Suffolk IP11 9SL
The Random Engineering privacy policy can be found here:randomaerospace.com/Random_Aerospace/Privacy.html

Hi Jason,

  I always recommend the Trace unit from FindMeSpot. It is well worth the price and works from ground level directly to orbiting satellites. It won't give you a good track during flight since it is limited to about 40,000 feet or so and does not report altitude but I always fly one as a backup locator. Also once on the ground it will report a few times and then it will report its position every 24 hours in case someone picks up your payloads, you will be able to find where it went. I have been testing one for over a year now inside my house and it reports every day and after one year it has finally been sending out a low battery message but still is working.

 I have been flying my Skytracker pico balloon APRS tracker without the solar panels and instead using a 3-cell AAA lithium pack with great results for regular latex balloon flights. It weighs a couple of ounces when packaged up with styrofoam or bubble wrap. Although it is low power (25 milliwatts) the nature of short packet bursts via the APRS mode allows it to compete with much stronger transmitters. I've compared it against a 1-watt APRS transmitter and it never missed a report during several test flights. I've been offering them for $149 for those who would like to try one with the battery pack (no batteries inside since I can't ship lithium batteries) if you are interested. It transmits once every minute. It is a ready to fly unit complete with built-in GPS receiver and guitar string antenna wires. It also transmits on 144.340 MHz as well as the national frequency of 144.390 so it is easy to DF the 144.340 MHz frequency if not quite strong enough to decode the packets.

However, I would recommend flying two separate APRS trackers and one FindMeSpot Trace unit for best reliability.

[...]

Zack Clobes W0ZC

If you're interested in programming or custom development, I have the ArduinoTrack available.  It's an Arduino "Shield" that provides GPS, temperature, and pressure sensors, along with a transmitter module for 144.39MHz.  It's all programmed through a simple USB cable and a piece of software.

Zack Clobes, W0ZC
Project: Traveler
www.projecttraveler.org

Join us on Facebook for the latest information:

Project: Traveler is a research project of Custom Digital Services, LLC.