Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 5:50 PM
Subject: [GPSL] QST Article

I'm working on a QST article.  I need some information for it.

As I recall, Bill Brown hitched a ride on a balloon.  Was the other
payload the one that was tracked with DFing, rather than APRS?

Who flew the DF'd capsule?

When was the DF'd capsule recovered? (I assume it was by 2:00
PM).

Bill, what was the date of your first launch?

Zack, did Bill fly on your spare balloon?

Paul

As I recall, Bill Brown hitched a ride on a balloon. Was
the other payload the one that was tracked with DFing, rather
than APRS?

Who flew the DF'd capsule?

When was the DF'd capsule recovered? (I assume it was by 2:00
PM).
Paul,

Please read message 224 for Mark's account of NSTAR at
GPSL. The excerpt below from that message answers some
of your questions about the DF'd balloon.

Hank
-----------------

Now the only one left to deal with was Mike KD0FW's ATV
and simplex repeater. EOSS, with its extensive DF experience
was already on the job. As we moved back east, we tried to
key up the simplex repeater on 147.585 in the hopes of having a
stronger signal to DF. Others were listening on the ATV carrier
frequency. Since there were plenty of vehicles in the hunt,
those of us with vehicles capable of hauling helium tanks went
back to the airport to move them closer to Manhattan and save
some time for Paul on Monday.

Michael L. Bogard <kd0fw@...>

This is to answer a lot of emails that I got regarding the balloon package. If there are any unanswered questions please email me. The balloon that was DF'ed belonged to Mike Bogard with the Kansas City Amateur Television Group. This was my fourth balloon flight since 1990. I have only lost 1 balloon package as it was just designed to be a fox hunt but I think that a combine ate it as it has never been returned. Bill Brown WB8ELK did not fly anything as he had to work up to the last minute and fly in. I am not sure of the exact time that the capsule was found as it might have been 2:20pm. The payload had a old P.C. Electronics ATV transmitter driving a brick amp to about 4 to 5 watts out to a horizontal polarized mini wheel antenna. The ID'er was a WB8ELK elktronics 4 frame color id'er. I also had a second id'er ( built by kb0znp ) that was black and white that would come on and scroll my email address for those interested in a qsl. That timer also controlled a outside beeper to aid in recovery. There was a 2 meter simplex repeater that had a special cw id ( built by wa0gwa ).  I also had a 35 mm camera snapping pictures every 10 minutes. The first balloon was a old kaysam from the national weather service middle 1980's and it looked a little funny when it was inflated. After a while it looked worse and burst. The second balloon was a 1200 totex balloon that Bill Brown got for me and we had about 11 pounds of lift. The package weight was 5 pounds and 8 ounces. The parachute was borrowed from Mark Conner. I had reports on the 2 meter simplex repeater from lower Kansas to the southwest corner of Missouri. The video was seen very well in these areas also. We also had a station in Kansas City receive the video and send it back out on the web so others interested could watch outside the viewable area and it worked great and had quite a few watching. That site was at http://pages.prodigy.net/dsudduth/javacampush.htm
Here is the site that has a few JPEG's and avi files that were recorded from the flight
The package was found about 22 miles due west of the launch site. The parachute was tangled with the balloon remains and shows signs of crashing pretty hard. The connector on the 2 meter simplex repeater had came out on impact and it shut off the simplex repeater. The impact also shattered to glass for the 35mm camera and moved it out of location. On impact most of the 440 ATV antenna was broke lose leaving just one signal to df the carrier on 439.245 and that is how it was found. It took some time and other people to track down my package but that is where the fun is. My wife even enjoyed herself! I am sorry now that I missed GPSL 2001. See you all next year de kd0fw Mike

Harry M <harrymue@...>

I left just as they got permission to enter the property and were walking in.
The time was 3pm.

Harry