Topics

Proposed migration to groups.io for GPSL in next couple of weeks

Mark Conner N9XTN

GPSL list members,

As many of you know, Yahoo Groups can be a PITA.  While it seems to have been reasonably well-behaved recently, we have had periods where it is very stubborn about setting different features, subscribing/unsubscribing members, and so forth.  I don't think Yahoo is putting a lot of time and resources into their Groups functionality, and I could see it dying out over time.

Groups.io has been around since about 2015.  Several ham radio groups in the Omaha area have moved from Yahoo to this service, and all have said it's been for the better.  I think there are some features we could make use of, like sub-lists, hashtags, and so on.

There is also an automated migration feature, which will essentially transfer over all the message archive (but not attachments) and subscribers.  All GPSL subscribers would get a message asking them to confirm their e-mail address to join the new list.  If you'd rather use a new e-mail address instead of the one linked to the Yahoo list, you can ignore that invitation and subscribe by an e-mail request from your preferred account.

If we go forward, the migration would start on or about March 5th - this is to allow time for everything to be stabilized on the new list before heavy-duty discussions about GPSL 2018 begin (not to mention balloon flying season for most subscribers).  It may take as long as a week to move all the messages over and get all the subscription invitations sent out.  After that time, the Yahoo GPSL list would go into caretaker status, with periodic reminders sent out that we are on groups.io instead.  I'm hoping I can set up an auto-responder so that when someone posts to Yahoo GPSL after the closure date, it will let them know the list has moved.  The Yahoo list will not be deleted anytime soon and the archives will remain open.  We will respond to any migration issues as soon as we can.

I just checked the archive and the GPSL list has been around since May 2002.  It was a "splinter" of the KNSP list, which Paul KD4STH began around 1996 I think.  The GPSL list has 402 members, but about 30 of the addresses appear to be dead.

I think we can do this with a minimum of pain and have ourselves on a better platform going forward.  If we find something horribly wrong, we will maintain the ability to revert back to Yahoo if necessary.  If there is anyone out there that has objections to the move because of known problems with groups.io, please respond with details.

73 de Mark N9XTN
GPSL list owner

Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT

Many other Yahoo groups have already migrated. I like the new groups.io place, lets move.
Keith, WA0̷TJT

On Feb 25, 2018, at 9:06 PM, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I too are in favor of the transition.

On Feb 25, 2018 9:03 PM, "WA0TJT wa0tjt@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

Nick

Sounds like the smart thing to do.

Nick

NØLP

EOSS

[...]

Timothy Cathcart

I support this move as well!!

Thanks for looking out and making a move in a different direction.

Tim

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

After a couple of delays, the migration to groups.io has officially begun.  This may take a few days to complete, and any messages between now and when it's done may not make it.  I'll follow up with a notice on the Yahoo list once it's done.  Hopefully this will be painless for all concerned.

73 de Mark N9XTN