Topics

Photos from first GPSL (2001)

Mark Conner N9XTN

We had three balloons launched for GPSL 2001.  We didn't have a symposium that year, that began in 2002.  Two of the flights were recovered that day - the tracker on the third flight failed, but was found by a farmer a few days later and returned.

This link may work better, the previous one may not have been a shareable link.  If this one doesn't work let me know.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

We had three balloons launched for GPSL 2001.  We didn't have a symposium that year, that began in 2002.  Two of the flights were recovered that day - the tracker on the third flight failed, but was found by a farmer a few days later and returned.

This one is shareable.  The other wasn't.

Thanks for fixing the situation.

On Thursday, June 18, 2020, Mark wrote:

This link may work better, the previous one may not have been a shareable link.

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Man, 19 years ago. Back when helium was cheap and I lots more hair that wasn't gray.

We did that launch for WeatherWise magazine.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 3:29 PM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

This link may work better, the previous one may not have been a shareable link.  If this one doesn't work let me know.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

We had three balloons launched for GPSL 2001.  We didn't have a symposium that year, that began in 2002.  Two of the flights were recovered that day - the tracker on the third flight failed, but was found by a farmer a few days later and returned.

Back in the day!    Sigh.

I was just looking at the special webage I created to welcome Weatherwise readers to my HABLIC (High Altitude Balloon Launch Information Center) website.

The Weatherise article generated quite a bit of traffic to HABLIC and through independent tracking that I had installed, it was apparent exactly who and how many (for some of the visitors) were coming direct from Weatherise.

HABLIC was the internet's first website that listed balloon launches from around the US in one place.  "All balloon launches, all the time."  It had a consistent data format which started even before the advent of the website and before even the web itself for that matter.  So before the web there was plain text email and Usenet.

Most of HABLIC exists today archived by several web legacy sites.  In its lifetime it logged over 25,000 hits and really went nuts when it was mentioned in a QST article.  I think that set a 24 hour record of something like 1000 hits!