Topics

PENS-10p. It’s a Wrap

Mike, n0mpm

It’s great to see 170 Jefferson 5th graders receive their “World Travelers” certificate documenting 4 trips around the world for our Pico Balloon, PENS-10p.  During these past 2 months the students learned about balloons and atmospheric science, tracked the voyage, predicted the future path, discovered new countries, provided interviews for local NBC and CBS TV stations, and had fun discussing the experiment with friends and family.

One student told me that her father, an engineering supervisor at Vermeer Corp, would end his weekly staff meetings with an update on the balloon progress.  One day he forgot until his staff demanded they put APRS.fi up on the screen!  It’s great to see projects like this spark the imagination of young and old alike!

Guess what?  I had as much fun as the students!

Michael

Mike, that is awesome! I’ve tried to get some interest here in Granbury, but it appears our schools can’t seem to get beyond their standard curriculum in most cases. Congrats on your accomplishment!

--Michael Willett

On Jan 17, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...> wrote:

It’s great to see 170 Jefferson 5th graders receive their “World Travelers” certificate documenting 4 trips around the world for our Pico Balloon, PENS-10p.  During these past 2 months the students learned about balloons and atmospheric science, tracked the voyage, predicted the future path, discovered new countries, provided interviews for local NBC and CBS TV stations, and had fun discussing the experiment with friends and family.

One student told me that her father, an engineering supervisor at Vermeer Corp, would end his weekly staff meetings with an update on the balloon progress.  One day he forgot until his staff demanded they put APRS.fi up on the screen!  It’s great to see projects like this spark the imagination of young and old alike!

Guess what?  I had as much fun as the students!

<90C48A2D-F9BC-4D16-AAEA-3E633BEE1CA0.jpeg>
<916FCE9E-9750-4CF8-B5A8-67BED5273C68.jpeg>

Ted Tagami

Fantastic to see this! I too live vicariously through the student excitement, enthusiasm, and curiosity. Well done!

--
"A posse ad esse."

Ted Tagami
CEO & Co-founder
Magnitude.io

+1 510 684 9773

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tagami

Mark Garrett

What a fantastic way for students to get involved with a project that takes them around the world on a balloon they helped launch.  I hope they can keep track of future efforts as it fun to follow along and maybe get a few siblings to get into the class.

On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 06:48:28 PM CST, Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...> wrote:

It’s great to see 170 Jefferson 5th graders receive their “World Travelers” certificate documenting 4 trips around the world for our Pico Balloon, PENS-10p.  During these past 2 months the students learned about balloons and atmospheric science, tracked the voyage, predicted the future path, discovered new countries, provided interviews for local NBC and CBS TV stations, and had fun discussing the experiment with friends and family.

One student told me that her father, an engineering supervisor at Vermeer Corp, would end his weekly staff meetings with an update on the balloon progress.  One day he forgot until his staff demanded they put APRS.fi up on the screen!  It’s great to see projects like this spark the imagination of young and old alike!

Guess what?  I had as much fun as the students!

Bill Brown

Congrats to the PENS-10p team. It is great to see how this project has inspired the students (and adults).