Topics

Life in the Stratosphere?

Larry

We are thinking about what project we want to take on this winter  We have considered streaming video from the balloon.  I really liked that idea but no one else did.

So now we are thinking about attempting to capture bacteria in the stratosphere.  Has anyone done this?  From what we seem to be able to find it has been done very seldom.  We have access to a MD and a biochemist who are helping and we have read  4 or 5 papers from groups who have done it.  From talking with the biochemist I kind of sense there are textbook solutions to some of the problems of ensuring sterility.

Or dealing with the small amount of "life" we might find.

Larry
KJ6PBS

Jayant Murthy

We've been planning to do this. If you write to me off-list, I'll put you in touch with our team who have designed a box. Largely because of the sterility issues, we're trying micrometorites as our first cut before going on to life.
Jayant

On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 8:01:03 AM GMT+5:30, Larry <larry.phegley@...> wrote:

We are thinking about what project we want to take on this winter  We have considered streaming video from the balloon.  I really liked that idea but no one else did.

So now we are thinking about attempting to capture bacteria in the stratosphere.  Has anyone done this?  From what we seem to be able to find it has been done very seldom.  We have access to a MD and a biochemist who are helping and we have read  4 or 5 papers from groups who have done it.  From talking with the biochemist I kind of sense there are textbook solutions to some of the problems of ensuring sterility.

Or dealing with the small amount of "life" we might find.

Larry
KJ6PBS

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I tried something similar and wrote about it in my book on your space with the basic stamp. Essentially, I put together Petri dishes with agar that was hot enough to sterilize it. Then I used to serve out to lift the top of the petri dish once the balloon was about 50,000 ft. Before the balloon burst the petri dish was closed. For comparison, I would keep one petri dish on the ground and send one up in the balloon. After recovery, see if there's a difference in the bacteria you see in both of the Petri dishes.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020, 8:31 PM Larry <larry.phegley@...> wrote:
We are thinking about what project we want to take on this winter  We have considered streaming video from the balloon.  I really liked that idea but no one else did.

So now we are thinking about attempting to capture bacteria in the stratosphere.  Has anyone done this?  From what we seem to be able to find it has been done very seldom.  We have access to a MD and a biochemist who are helping and we have read  4 or 5 papers from groups who have done it.  From talking with the biochemist I kind of sense there are textbook solutions to some of the problems of ensuring sterility.

Or dealing with the small amount of "life" we might find.

Larry
KJ6PBS

Margie Kay

Has anyone in this group sent up a high speed video camera?  I've been doing a study of high-speed UFOs captured on film and just completed a book on this subject. These objects move so fast that they can't be seen with the naked eye, yet when going through video frame-by-frame we are able to see craft moving at high rates of speed. So far, we've only been able to obtain video from the ground. Getting video from the stratosphere might shed more light on this subject - especially with a high-speed camera.

If anyone has already done this and would like for us to analyze the video for craft please let me know. If not, perhaps this would be a good future project.

Sincerely,

--
Margie Kay
Missouri MUFON Assistant State Director

jasonbunwin

No I haven't and don't know anyone who has. How would you test the camera to make sure there isn't a "glitch" in it delivering false images? It sounds like an interesting project.

Margie Kay

We have a crack team of video analysts here in Missouri and they will know if there are any glitches.