Topics

Lesson Learned

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

At conferences, we need to be better at staying in contact with each team. Perhaps one person should be assigned this task.

Glad to see EOSS went out with a team.

Michael

I tried to improve this at GPSL 2016 by being "the one person". It did not work out so well.

But along those lines, I think if each team could assign a person to post on say, a GPSL twitter recovery thread or just text in to a main POC to be re-tweeted, -  that might be a great step in the general direction.

--
Michael Willett
Mobile: 214-578-2400

Hank Riley

Michael,

Could you please elaborate just a little on your experience in 2016?

What specifically were the main things that didn't work and why?   This will inform future hosts and organizers about what to expect and methods and strategies.

Hank

Michael <mw@...> wrote:

I tried to improve this at GPSL 2016 by being "the one person". It did not work out so well.

Hank Riley

better wording:

Could you please elaborate just a little on your experience in 2016?

What specifically were the main things that didn't work and why?   This will inform future hosts and organizers about what to expect and improved methods and strategies to try.

Michael <mw@...> wrote:

I tried to improve this at GPSL 2016 by being "the one person". It did not work out so well.

Jerry

I think the main thing we didn't do is assign people to chase a specific balloon.  Or at least a "lead" person for each balloon to coordinate the activity around that balloon.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:27 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH
<nearsys@...> wrote:
At conferences, we need to be better at staying in contact with each team. Perhaps one person should be assigned this task.

Glad to see EOSS went out with a team.

Mark Conner N9XTN

One of the main issues in GPSL 2016 (and perhaps this year too) were extensive RF holes.  In 2016 our balloon landed in an area with no repeater or cell service.  We had good RF tracking of the balloon to landing, so that didn't interfere with recovery.  However, we'd have had to drive to RF coverage to contact the outside world.  EOSS could easily have encountered the same thing on the drive into the mountains.

Using the hashtag #GPSL2018 was a good attempt to share on Twitter, but it's easy to forget the hashtag in the head of the moment (I did a lot).

Twitter is a good medium for sharing real-time news snippets but it requires some organization.  Having someone *not chasing* be the person to coordinate on Twitter is a good idea.  But it also requires at least one person on each chase team to be able to send updates, preferably via Twitter.

We do have available @superlaunch as a central Twitter account to use for this event, but it hasn't been used since 2015.

73 de Mark N9XTN

Michael <mw@...> wrote:

I tried to improve this at GPSL 2016 by being "the one person". It did not work out so well.

Michael

GPSL 2016:

My intention was to be able to help a team in need in case they had a tree magnet payload or other issue to overcome. I had loaded my truck with everything but a canoe, and - well as luck would have it, we needed the canoe. :)

The main issue I faced from a support perspective was that feedback from the field was sketchy at best, and the teams that had trouble were in a dead zone for RF or other issues. It would have been nice to know who was in good shape and who was in trouble, and the only one I knew was really in trouble needed the canoe - which we used a day or two later without success... :)

After giving this some thought, I could have advertised my ability to help much better and asked for check ins periodically from those teams that might want assistance. To overcome the RF dead zone issues, perhaps setting up an 80 meter NVIS would help. 80 meters on an auto is already NVIS :) so I am thinking a "net control" person at HQ someplace with a real NVIS antenna could then better communicate to the field any needs. From a safety standpoint, I think this could be very beneficial.

I think the EOSS group utilize a "net control" type of communication. Perhaps they have input on their processes and experiences.

--Michael
K5NOT

better wording: