Topics

Launch Site

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

It is still a bit early, but a flight prediction I made today shows the balloon going primarily to the north for 15 miles.

If so, we may want to launch at the Idaho and Oregon border on US 95. It would take about 45 minutes, I believe, to drive there from Nampa.

We definitely do not want to land in the mountains, even in the Owyhees which are south of Nampa. A balloon flight from the border would fly over the mountains and then land and farm land south of Nampa and Kuna.

Mark Conner N9XTN

The Idaho forecast looks a lot more pleasant than the Plains forecast for this weekend - Boise is expecting 50s in the morning and mid-70s in the afternoon on Saturday.  Nice day for a balloon chase.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:50 AM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
It is still a bit early, but a flight prediction I made today shows the balloon going primarily to the north for 15 miles.

If so, we may want to launch at the Idaho and Oregon border on US 95. It would take about 45 minutes, I believe, to drive there from Nampa.

We definitely do not want to land in the mountains, even in the Owyhees which are south of Nampa. A balloon flight from the border would fly over the mountains and then land and farm land south of Nampa and Kuna.

Mark Conner N9XTN

One thing to watch for the weekend will be the remnants of Hurricane Bud now south of Baja California.  Most of that should be to the east of Boise, but if the track is a little different or the flow is more northerly, there will be more clouds and showers to contend with.

73 de Mark N9XTN