Topics

KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

Bill Brown

Update on the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater. Thanks to Harry KC5TRB in Tulsa OK for dusting off his APRS setup and establishing an iGate tuned to the higher frequency. It is now directly over his house in Tulsa OK having floating all night bouncing between 92,000 and 95,000 feet and is now back at 108,000 feet now that the Sun is heating it up again. The battery pack went out an hour before sunrise but came back now that the bubble-wrap insulation is allowing the payload to reach temperatures over 20 degrees C. It was -45 deg C most of the night. (Eveready AAA lithiums 4-pack). Now that the internal temp is over 20 C, the frequency has drifted back to around 144.342 and 144.392 MHz so should work with digipeaters and iGates again.

Should be heard from Omaha to Houston now and all over OK, AR, KS and MO.

Now it is just a matter of time to see how long it can survive the UV radiation.

- Bill WB8ELK

-----Original Message-----
To: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Subject: Re: [GPSL] KF4ZTI11 latex floater heading across Arkansas tonight

Update on the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater. After sunset it dropped from 108000 feet (where it spent most of the day) down to 92000 feet where it has leveled off. APRS frequencies now have settled down to 144.351 MHz and 144.401 MHz. I'm still decoding it on 144.351 MHz from 255 miles away as it travels west across Arkansas tonight. Harry KC5TRB is hearing it now in Tulsa and getting partial decodes on APRS.  Mike W0MB in Kansas City can hear it weakly but doesn't have a way to decode the APRS packets. At the current rate of speed and westerly heading it will likely be in Oklahoma by sunrise tomorrow.

- Bill WB8ELK

To: gpsl@groups.io <gpsl@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 9:23 pm
Subject: [GPSL] KF4ZTI11 latex floater heading across Arkansas tonight

KF4ZTI-11 was launched this morning (Saturday) from Clarksville TN with just one pound of payload attached. GoPro type camera and an APRS tracker. It transmits every 1 minute on 144.39 and then 10 seconds later on 144.34 MHz...This payload sat in a tree for a week or two last year and saw quite a bit of weather. As a result the transmit frequency has shifted to 144.348 MHz on APRS as well as 144.398 MHz when it gets below -20 C...As a result it is out of the passband for most digipeaters. I am still copying it here in Huntsville AL from 220 miles out but is about out of range for me. Is there someone in the St. Louis, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis or east OK or NE TX that can set up an iGate tuned to 144.348 MHz tonight? If you already have an iGate, can you tune it to 144.398 or 144.348 MHz? This is an unplanned latex floater due to KF4ZTI putting in only a few ounces of positive lift on a 1200 gram balloon. It floated all day around 107000 feet but is descending after sunset...probably will level out around 90,000 feet and continue on west across Arkansas tonight.

- Bill WB8ELK

Bill Brown

Harry KC5TRB has a visual sighting of the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater as it flies nearly over the top of his house in Tulsa OK at 108,000 feet. It has been flying now for 25 hours.

1200 gram latex balloon (hydrogen) with a one pound payload and about 2 ounces of free lift.

- Bill WB8ELK

Sent: Sun, Jun 14, 2020 9:19 am
Subject: Re: [GPSL] KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

Update on the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater. Thanks to Harry KC5TRB in Tulsa OK for dusting off his APRS setup and establishing an iGate tuned to the higher frequency. It is now directly over his house in Tulsa OK having floating all night bouncing between 92,000 and 95,000 feet and is now back at 108,000 feet now that the Sun is heating it up again. The battery pack went out an hour before sunrise but came back now that the bubble-wrap insulation is allowing the payload to reach temperatures over 20 degrees C. It was -45 deg C most of the night. (Eveready AAA lithiums 4-pack). Now that the internal temp is over 20 C, the frequency has drifted back to around 144.342 and 144.392 MHz so should work with digipeaters and iGates again.

Should be heard from Omaha to Houston now and all over OK, AR, KS and MO.

Now it is just a matter of time to see how long it can survive the UV radiation.

- Bill WB8ELK

Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Subject: Re: [GPSL] KF4ZTI11 latex floater heading across Arkansas tonight

Update on the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater. After sunset it dropped from 108000 feet (where it spent most of the day) down to 92000 feet where it has leveled off. APRS frequencies now have settled down to 144.351 MHz and 144.401 MHz. I'm still decoding it on 144.351 MHz from 255 miles away as it travels west across Arkansas tonight. Harry KC5TRB is hearing it now in Tulsa and getting partial decodes on APRS.  Mike W0MB in Kansas City can hear it weakly but doesn't have a way to decode the APRS packets. At the current rate of speed and westerly heading it will likely be in Oklahoma by sunrise tomorrow.

- Bill WB8ELK

To: gpsl@groups.io <gpsl@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 9:23 pm
Subject: [GPSL] KF4ZTI11 latex floater heading across Arkansas tonight

KF4ZTI-11 was launched this morning (Saturday) from Clarksville TN with just one pound of payload attached. GoPro type camera and an APRS tracker. It transmits every 1 minute on 144.39 and then 10 seconds later on 144.34 MHz...This payload sat in a tree for a week or two last year and saw quite a bit of weather. As a result the transmit frequency has shifted to 144.348 MHz on APRS as well as 144.398 MHz when it gets below -20 C...As a result it is out of the passband for most digipeaters. I am still copying it here in Huntsville AL from 220 miles out but is about out of range for me. Is there someone in the St. Louis, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis or east OK or NE TX that can set up an iGate tuned to 144.348 MHz tonight? If you already have an iGate, can you tune it to 144.398 or 144.348 MHz? This is an unplanned latex floater due to KF4ZTI putting in only a few ounces of positive lift on a 1200 gram balloon. It floated all day around 107000 feet but is descending after sunset...probably will level out around 90,000 feet and continue on west across Arkansas tonight.

- Bill WB8ELK

Hank Riley

Bill,

What kind of optical aid is Harry using?  Very appropriate he of all people is getting that treat.

Hank

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 10:24:04 AM EDT, Bill wrote:

Harry KC5TRB has a visual sighting of the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater as it flies nearly over the top of his house in Tulsa OK at 108,000 feet. It has been flying now for 25 hours.

Hank Riley

Please, now that the situation has settled down a little, tell us a little more about the hardware.  Who designed it and built it?  Microcontroller employed?

What should have been the lift?

This is an unplanned latex floater due to KF4ZTI putting in only a few ounces of positive lift on a 1200 gram balloon.

James Ewen VE6SRV

Harry might be wearing glasses if he has bad vision. Most likely just using his eyes. 

A 1200 gram balloon at that altitude is easy to spot. It will be a little white dot in the sky. 

The balloon will be about 30 feet or so across. 

It is kind of hard to imagine being able to see a balloon so far away until you actually see one. I recall seeing my first HAB at altitude and being amazed that I could see it. 

One flight we did, we put a very light payload in a 1 cu ft styrofoam box with no parachute. Just a tumble recovery.  

I was watching the flight with binoculars when the balloon burst. I was able to watch the box fall to the earth. 

I watched it down to about 30,000 feet where I foolishly thought “I’ll have a look for be box with my naked eyes!”. I was unable to find the box with the binoculars after that. 

Recovered the payload a couple miles from where we were watching the burst. 

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

What kind of optical aid is Harry using?  Very appropriate he of all people is getting that treat.

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

Zack Clobes W0ZC

The floater seems to be descending slowly.

As for the visual, yes they look like a star in the day fly. They're really cool to watch and especially when they pop.

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 9:38 AM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
Harry might be wearing glasses if he has bad vision. Most likely just using his eyes. 

A 1200 gram balloon at that altitude is easy to spot. It will be a little white dot in the sky. 

It is kind of hard to imagine being able to see a balloon so far away until you actually see one. I recall seeing my first HAB at altitude and being amazed that I could see it. 

One flight we did, we put a very light payload in a 1 cu ft styrofoam box with no parachute. Just a tumble recovery.  

I was watching the flight with binoculars when the balloon burst. I was able to watch the box fall to the earth. 

I watched it down to about 30,000 feet where I foolishly thought “I’ll have a look for be box with my naked eyes!”. I was unable to find the box with the binoculars after that. 

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

Garrett, Mark

It is coming down.  Harry, you gonna retrieve it?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:

As for the visual, yes they look like a star in the day fly. They're really cool to watch and especially when they pop.

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Zack Clobes W0ZC

I've been texting with Harry this morning. Said he was trying to get a local to find a final location. 

Final location looks to be pretty heavily wooded. Is this one of Bill's balloons???

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 11:51 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Zack

Garrett, Mark

I believe so since it transmits on 144.390 and 144.340 thereabouts.  There are openings in that area so possibly it made it to one of those.  I know if it was close to me I would head out.  Might be a nice drive in the country at the worst.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
I've been texting with Harry this morning. Said he was trying to get a local to find a final location. 

Final location looks to be pretty heavily wooded. Is this one of Bill's balloons???

Zack

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Zack

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

James Ewen VE6SRV

If it was within a few hours of me, I *know* I would head out and retrieve it. 

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:
I believe so since it transmits on 144.390 and 144.340 thereabouts.  There are openings in that area so possibly it made it to one of those.  I know if it was close to me I would head out.  Might be a nice drive in the country at the worst.

Zack

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Zack

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

--
James
VE6SRV

Garrett, Mark

I am the same way.  

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

Zack

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

Zack

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Bill Brown

The KF4ZTI-11 latex floater has landed just north of Warwick OK after almost a 28-hour flight. Batteries should last until around 6 or 7 pm.  Harry KC5TRB has a local ham from Stillwater in the area listening for it but he doesn't have a way to decode APRS so he is going to listen for the packet bursts and see if he can spot the parachute. We have the landing site predicted along Rd N3380 (north-south road) near the intersection of Rd E880(east-west) plus or minus a half mile or so along N3380 Rd.

35.741N -96.982W  is the center of the search area.  

If anyone in the Oklahoma City region has APRS mobile or portable here's your chance for balloon chase and recovery.

- Bill WB8ELK

To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I am the same way.  

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

Zack

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

Zack

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Bill Brown

Hank....The APRS tracker is one of my older versions of the Skytracker but instead of solar panels it had a 4-AAA lithium battery pack running it. Mounted on a piece of foamcore with three layers of small-cell bubblewrap covering it. At times it got quite hot inside floating along at 108000 feet. over +40 deg C at times and at night it went down to -45 deg C.

This one has flown multiple times (once at GPSL last year) and a later flight ended up in a tree last Fall for a couple of weeks.... as a result the reference oscillator or the synthesizer chip appears to have been damaged probably due to moisture corrosion and it has a lot of drift in it when it got down to -45 deg C. Harry KC5TRB and I managed to get nearly full coverage of it during the night by tuning up frequency to where it decided to transmit. I had copy on it out to 300 miles and Harry started to receive it around 260 miles once it was about halfway between us. GPS is a uBlox MAX-8Q and it never lost GPS lock and had 12 satellites throughout the flight and even at -45 deg C.

Battery life should be around 36 hours but will likely be less due to the long duration at -45 deg C. It lasted until an hour before sunrise but started up again once the batteries heated up after sunrise. It was still going strong after 28 hours when it finally burst and landed.

Balloon was a 1200 gram Kaymont (Totex) and the payload plus parachute weight was 1 pound (including a GoPro style camera). Greg KF4ZTI apparently only put an ounce or two of positive lift into the balloon. He filled it outside and had difficulty measuring the lift in the wind.  He used hydrogen. It was launched yesterday morning from Clarksville TN.

Initially it was going up around 170 ft/minute but at 30,000 feet (Reynold's number area) it increased to 450 ft/minute until it achieved float around 107,000 feet for the rest of the day. At night it dropped down to 91000 feet then bounced around between 92000 to 95000 most of the night. At sunrise it went back up to 109000 feet and burst at 110000 feet about 4 or 5 hours after sunrise when the UV radiation finally got to the latex.

- Bill WB8ELK

Sent: Sun, Jun 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

Zack

Zack

James
VE6SRV

Bill,

Hank

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133
Zack

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133
--
James
VE6SRV

Harry M

There were two visual sightings the first one was from Rich KD5JXU in Yonkers Oklahoma it was about 1km down range at 107 or 108000 feet. As it came across Southern Tulsa County i had a visual. It was about 7.5 miles down range at about 107 to 108000 Ft. Both Rich and I only used our naked eyes. I did have polarized sunglasses on.

Dan K5SEL from Stillwater was first in the area then Rich KD5JXU was there as Dan left. Rich talked to several of the landowners, searched around and finally gave up because there was no more RF.  Apparently the batteries died. Landowners were left with several contact numbers and we're told to notify hunters this fall that the payload is in the area.

Harry M

I've attached a KML file with the last 3 known positions and my 3 predicted positions.
A placemark where Dan K5SEL heard it and 2 placemark where Rich KD5JXU heard it.
From RICH1 it was East and from RICH2 it was West.

Rich might have a chance to go Aeromobile this weekend and scope out the area.

Mark Conner N9XTN

Just for fun, I pulled the expected wind profile for the landing site for below 10,000 ft:
 PRESS HGT(MSL) TEMP DEW PT  WND DIR  WND SPD
 HPA       M      C     C       DEG     M/S
 E = Estimated Surface Height

984.   302.E  31.0   16.5   187.5     6.1
  983.   312.E  30.0   15.5   187.4     5.9
  980.   339.E  29.3   15.4   187.1     6.9
  975.   388.E  28.7   14.8   186.0     7.4
  967.   462.E  27.9   14.1   186.1     7.8
  953.   589.E  26.5   12.9   185.0     8.3
  935.   758.E  25.0   11.5   185.0     8.7
  915.   947.E  23.2   10.8   184.2     9.1
  891.  1172.E  21.1   10.0   184.4     9.2
  867.  1405.E  19.3    5.2   185.1     9.2
  840.  1676.E  17.2    4.5   183.7     8.4
  810.  1990.E  15.8   -1.4   163.6     5.8
  776.  2347.E  14.6   -6.4   127.9     4.6
  740.  2742.E  11.9   -6.4   107.7     5.7
  702.  3179.E   8.7   -4.5    91.4     7.4

Not a lot of direction change below the last report, so I think Harry's assumption on course was good.  However, assuming a 700 fpm descent rate based on the last two reports and about 4000 ft from last report to touchdown, that yields about 345 seconds of flying, and at 7 meters/sec that would put the balloon about 2.4 km NNE of the last report.  That would put it to the north of "Dan" in the KML file, north of the next E/W road to the north a bit.  That doesn't agree with Rich's DF results though.
Anyway, if you're planning an aerial search, I think it'd be worth a look another 1/2 to 3/4 mile north to NNE of "Pred3".
73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Harry M <hhm_74115@...> wrote:
I've attached a KML file with the last 3 known positions and my 3 predicted positions.
A placemark where Dan K5SEL heard it and 2 placemark where Rich KD5JXU heard it.

Harry M

Thanks Mark!
With such a low signal and the high voltage power lines in the area both could've affected the RDF effort.
Too bad there isn't a way to use some Tesla magic to rejuvenate the  batteries. :)

Hank Riley

"But where are the drones?
Send in the drones"

On Wednesday, June 17, Harry wrote:

With such a low signal and the high voltage power lines in the area both could've affected the RDF effort.
Too bad there isn't a way to use some Tesla magic to rejuvenate the  batteries. :)
_

Michael

Don’t worry, they’re here. 

--Michael Willett

On Jun 17, 2020, at 5:09 PM, Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv@...> wrote:

"But where are the drones?
Send in the drones"

On Wednesday, June 17, Harry wrote:

_

Bill Brown

Hi Mark,

I also had it in the general area you calculated using similar estimates but thought it might be a bit south of the next road to the north and east of the north south road.

I predicted it between a spot north of where the north-south road makes a big curve (N3380 and 885) on up to the next E-W road (Rd. 880) and just to the east of the N-S road (Rd N 3380).

- Bill WB8ELK

Sent: Wed, Jun 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Just for fun, I pulled the expected wind profile for the landing site for below 10,000 ft:
 PRESS HGT(MSL) TEMP DEW PT  WND DIR  WND SPD
 HPA       M      C     C       DEG     M/S
 E = Estimated Surface Height

984.   302.E  31.0   16.5   187.5     6.1
  983.   312.E  30.0   15.5   187.4     5.9
  980.   339.E  29.3   15.4   187.1     6.9
  975.   388.E  28.7   14.8   186.0     7.4
  967.   462.E  27.9   14.1   186.1     7.8
  953.   589.E  26.5   12.9   185.0     8.3
  935.   758.E  25.0   11.5   185.0     8.7
  915.   947.E  23.2   10.8   184.2     9.1
  891.  1172.E  21.1   10.0   184.4     9.2
  867.  1405.E  19.3    5.2   185.1     9.2
  840.  1676.E  17.2    4.5   183.7     8.4
  810.  1990.E  15.8   -1.4   163.6     5.8
  776.  2347.E  14.6   -6.4   127.9     4.6
  740.  2742.E  11.9   -6.4   107.7     5.7
  702.  3179.E   8.7   -4.5    91.4     7.4

Not a lot of direction change below the last report, so I think Harry's assumption on course was good.  However, assuming a 700 fpm descent rate based on the last two reports and about 4000 ft from last report to touchdown, that yields about 345 seconds of flying, and at 7 meters/sec that would put the balloon about 2.4 km NNE of the last report.  That would put it to the north of "Dan" in the KML file, north of the next E/W road to the north a bit.  That doesn't agree with Rich's DF results though.
Anyway, if you're planning an aerial search, I think it'd be worth a look another 1/2 to 3/4 mile north to NNE of "Pred3".
73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Harry M <hhm_74115@...> wrote: