Joanne's email anyone? Friday latex balloon recovery map

Hank Riley

I have done a custom map to help make the recovery of the KM6BWB Friday latex balloon go quickly and easily.  Last APRS was south of Bakersfield, CA.

Sent a couple of emails containing the mapping to the best email I could find fairly quickly; it was from a teacher and/or ARISS webpage.

If anyone has a direct email address for her, please email me.  It would be nice if she gets this map today or tomorrow.  Maybe she herself will see this request.

Hank

Hank Riley

....  the best email I could find fairly quickly [but not hers].

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 05:26:19 PM EDT, Hank wrote:

Sent a couple of emails containing the mapping to the best email I could find fairly quickly; it was from a teacher and/or ARISS webpage.

Tim C KC8ZNJ

Joanne should have already made the pick up on this.... The local Fire Dept was contacted that they used it as a mock training  SAR type of activity....

I spoke to her about an hour ago and was at the local BBQ place picking up lunch for those folks and was heading to pick up the payload.

She did mention the FD folks said they found it about 25 FT up in a pine tree....

Awesome recovery.

cheers!

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 2:26 PM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have done a custom map to help make the recovery of the KM6BWB Friday latex balloon go quickly and easily.  Last APRS was south of Bakersfield, CA.

Sent a couple of emails containing the mapping to the best email I could find fairly quickly; it was from a teacher and/or ARISS webpage.

If anyone has a direct email address for her, please email me.  It would be nice if she gets this map today or tomorrow.  Maybe she herself will see this request.

Hank

Tim C KC8ZNJ

DId you come up with a projected landing site?   since we know where that actually was at today...   let's see how close you were.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 3:18 PM Timothy Cathcart <tim.cathcart@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Tim.  From recent experience with John's nice SLR developing legs and walking away from the landing site (also in CA), it seems prudent to try to get to these landing sites as soon as possible.

This one was much closer by to a real neighborhood than I would have dreamed when I heard earlier today that it was "on a mountain."

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 06:18:53 PM EDT, Tim wrote:

Joanne should have already made the pick up on this.... The local Fire Dept was contacted that they used it as a mock training  SAR type of activity....

Hank Riley

No, not enough time today for that.   The map produced was a high quality USGS topo map since this was hilly terrain and did get into backcountry land if the payload landed some distance from the last available APRS position.

Will do it later tonight or tomorrow just for fun.  Don't tell me.  :)