Topics

High altitude floater

stan siems

I am working on launching several long term floaters with hopefully multiple passes around the earth I have several persons saying this has been done with up to 7 passes although I have not found data to support this. If any one would have information on any of these flights I would appreciate receiving the information on those flights. I will be using a APRS LIGHT W  tracker with  a usb battery and solar panel to charge it on the first flight with the possibility of adding a cross band repeater Later if I can prove  that we can keep them up for sufficient period of time. The electronics is the easy part the Balloon is the difficult part. I am looking at making my own balloon using stratofilm 430 ,If any one has done this I would appreciate any information they have and what there experience was. I would also appreciate any anyone offering information on a project of this type.
Thanks Stan Siems WB0EMJ

BASE_DePauw

Stan,

Alan Adamson has had multiple long duration flights. I believe his e-mail is:   adamson_alan@...

Bill Brown wb8elk@... is experienced in all types of balloon flights including extended duration floaters

Ron Meadows K6RPT is someone who has flown extended flights and manufactured balloon envelopes.  See www.cnsp-inc.com

Howard,
KC9QBN,  BASE_DePauw

--
Howard L. Brooks
Professor of Physics and Astronomy

Jerry

As Howard pointed out, Alan holds the record.  The last account I have seen is HIRF-6 was up for 767 days and 35 laps.  I'm sure it went farther than that.  You can see some of the info here: http://www.scientificballoonsolutions.com/news/

This is Ron Meadows company.  He made the balloons Alan used.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 8:23:26 AM MST, BASE_DePauw <hlbrooks@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Reed

Let me know when you guys have a floater up. We are now teaching from home and I teach introduction to programming. I think using a floater or two in my curriculum would be a nice discussion point. Please let us know when you are up and flying!! Thanks!!

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:05 AM stan siems <ssiems@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Adamson

Thanks for the kind words.  I got sucked into the world of satellites (professionally) and haven’t had a chance to play much with balloons.

But a few comments.  The original author’s intent sounded like something very different from mine, and something that I actually haven’t heard of.

My balloon that flew for over 2 years and finally broke the record that NASA held with the ghost balloon program, was extremely light.

The payload was custom built and weighed ~9grams

Ron’s company made the balloon (envelope) and it was made from a special material that was used in the food industry for wrapping sushi 😊

My balloon flew on H2, not HE

As a result for 767 days it was  at approx. 46000 ft and was considered a Super Pressure balloon (fully sealed envelope)

The primary tricks are  - you have to float at above 41000 to stay away from airplanes

You have to use a material that won’t *leak* your lifting gas

Your payload has to be extremely light

And in my case I flew a solar only balloon, it didn’t have a heavy battery instead it used a super capacitor and solar panels

For radio(s) you have to use something that can be tracked world wide (APRS isn’t that btw).

So my balloon used *both* APRS for when it was in coverage, and WSPR (yes on 20mtrs) for full world coverage (it has 2 antennas a ½ wave on 2mtrs and a ½ wave on 20mts

Of the first 2 years, it was heard and tracked via telemetry every day but 3.  There was a gap at the end as over time it developed an intermittent problem.

Here is the last version of a Presentation that used with a few local Ham Radio clubs before I left Atlanta and moved to Utah.

I do have some plans upcoming for a few more launches and the second board that is referenced in that presentation will likely be available after further testing (the company I work for hired the developer – but we’ve been completely consumed working on low cost, commercial satellites 😊 )…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnchy5tqw2g4gy0/HAB%20-%202019.pdf?dl=0

I can answer questions, but my responses will likely be delayed so bear with me,

Alan Adamson

W7QO

Ps. The balloon flew under the call of K4JCW, because my call was on a sister balloon that was still up when we launched the record setting one.