High Altitude Balloon Launch tomorrow 5/8, Virginia Tech

Kevin Sterne

Hello all,

I'd like to invite you to remotely enjoy tracking our HAB tomorrow (May 8th) with a target launch time of 8am EDT.  As of now, we're proceeding with the launch though we are very close to launch site wind thresholds which could cause us to cancel the launch tomorrow morning. (We've been enjoying some of the recent shares of windy launches)  You can track the balloon through one of 2 ways:

Balloon SPOT: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/NS54

Since this is the first balloon flight in a number of years at Virginia Tech, we're flying fairly simple payloads (GPS & weather logging, cameras, etc.).  We are hoping to do a second flight sometime in June.

We would like to thank the Kevin T. Crofton Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering at Virginia Tech as this department funded these payloads and this flight.  With the lessons learned from this flight and a possible second flight, we're hoping to include high altitude ballooning in undergrad course projects where student built payloads go to the stratosphere and back.

Cheers,
-Kevin Sterne, KJ4OAP

Research Associate | Space@VT
Faculty Advisor | Amateur Radio Association at Virginia Tech

W4SDR EM74

Hello Kevin,
Jack KM4ZIA and Audrey KM4BUN are watching. What kind of balloon?
So far, it seems to have the altitude we've found with latex, but your
balloon has the longevity of PET.

73
Tom W4SDR

APRS: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKJ4OAP-11&timerange=21600&tail=21600
Balloon SPOT: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/NS54

Since this is the first balloon flight in a number of years at Virginia Tech, we're flying fairly simple payloads (GPS & weather logging, cameras, etc.). We are hoping to do a second flight sometime in June.

We would like to thank the Kevin T. Crofton Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering at Virginia Tech as this department funded these payloads and this flight. With the lessons learned from this flight and a possible second flight, we're hoping to include high altitude ballooning in undergrad course projects where student built payloads go to the stratosphere and back.

Cheers,
-Kevin Sterne, KJ4OAP

Research Associate | Space@VT
Faculty Advisor | Amateur Radio Association at Virginia Tech

Kevin Sterne

Hello Tom,

Thanks for following us.  We flew a latex balloon.  As with most east coast flights, our flight string found a tall tree on its way down.

73,
-Kevin, KJ4OAP

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:33 PM Kevin Sterne <ksterne@...> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I'd like to invite you to remotely enjoy tracking our HAB tomorrow (May 8th) with a target launch time of 8am EDT.  As of now, we're proceeding with the launch though we are very close to launch site wind thresholds which could cause us to cancel the launch tomorrow morning. (We've been enjoying some of the recent shares of windy launches)  You can track the balloon through one of 2 ways:
>
> APRS: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKJ4OAP-11&timerange=21600&tail=21600
> Balloon SPOT: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/NS54
>
> Since this is the first balloon flight in a number of years at Virginia Tech, we're flying fairly simple payloads (GPS & weather logging, cameras, etc.).  We are hoping to do a second flight sometime in June.
>
> We would like to thank the Kevin T. Crofton Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering at Virginia Tech as this department funded these payloads and this flight.  With the lessons learned from this flight and a possible second flight, we're hoping to include high altitude ballooning in undergrad course projects where student built payloads go to the stratosphere and back.
>
> Cheers,
> -Kevin Sterne, KJ4OAP
>
> Research Associate | Space@VT
> Faculty Advisor | Amateur Radio Association at Virginia Tech
>

> --

W4SDR EM74

Oh yes - QSL on the trees!
We had one land in a tree at a nudist colony in North Carolina.
We had to get permission to "retrieve a box that landed on your property with a camera inside".

Currently - The Midnight Rider is on orbit 3.

73
Tom W4SDR